belgain candi and beet (cane) sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Belgian candy sugar, is a process of inverting sugar and cooking it to the color desired...beet sugar is just sugar that has not been inverted and turned in to a candy form.

I looked into this myself once. the difference for small quantities is arguably negligible but in larger quantities could potentially impart some off flavors to your brew. Cane/beet sugar are both sucrose sugars. belgian candi sugar is actually a mixture of glucose and fructose which is made from a process of inverting the cane/beet sugar. the reason in small quantities that the difference is negligible is that yeast before it eats a sucrose based sugar will actually invert it to its base components of glucose and fructose but in large quantities the energy expended on inverting the sugar can cause the yeast to throw off flavors. the explination can get deeper and more complex than this but the gist of it is here.

I to use regular cheap table sugar to make belgian candi and have never noticed any irregular flavors.

In Designing Great Beers Ray Daniels says that beet sugar is not recommended because it will throw off flavors. No explanation other than that, but mcwilcr sounds right?

In Designing Great Beers Ray Daniels says that beet sugar is not recommended because it will throw off flavors. No explanation other than that, but mcwilcr sounds right?

Beet sugar is used in everyone of the Belgian candy lines that you buy from your supplier...you dont need it to make a belgian candy, but it does add a flavor.

Belgian candy sugar, is a process of inverting sugar and cooking it to the color desired...beet sugar is just sugar that has not been inverted and turned in to a candy form.

Ditto. Belgian Candi Sugar / Syrup is a product of inverting the sugar, cooking it like you would when making candy. It imparts additional flavors than what normal sugar would add.

mcwilcr said:
I looked into this myself once. the difference for small quantities is arguably negligible but in larger quantities could potentially impart some off flavors to your brew. Cane/beet sugar are both sucrose sugars. belgian candi sugar is actually a mixture of glucose and fructose which is made from a process of inverting the cane/beet sugar. the reason in small quantities that the difference is negligible is that yeast before it eats a sucrose based sugar will actually invert it to its base components of glucose and fructose but in large quantities the energy expended on inverting the sugar can cause the yeast to throw off flavors. the explination can get deeper and more complex than this but the gist of it is here.

I to use regular cheap table sugar to make belgian candi and have never noticed any irregular flavors.

Ok that sounds solid. So the process of making candi is the what counts. But what about brown sugar its kinda processed. Is it inverted like that.

uncommonsense said:
Ok that sounds solid. So the process of making candi is the what counts. But what about brown sugar its kinda processed. Is it inverted like that.

I think brown sugar just has some molasses mixed in with beet/cane sugar but I'm not 100% on that.

Brown sugar in the US like Domino brand is just refined white sugar with the molasses added back. Now Kitul Jaggery (a very dark brown sugar) is made from a palm syrup and the cooking/evaporation process makes it very dark.

I would recommend that all brewers make Belgium Candy at least once...it's easy and fun to experiment with adding flavors...I have a D2 recipe that is close, if not better than the real thing...all because my supplier was out and I had to make it for a recipe!

Back