Behold the shiny new kettle!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyangler18

Reaction score
So, those of you who tuned into a recent broadcast saw my new 15 gallon kettle. Well, I drilled and installed both bulkheads this morning.

IMG_5960.JPG

For size comparison:
IMG_5962.JPG

Looks really nice.....any reason you chose those kettles over a keggle?

I haven't had much luck in finding any kegs to convert! Sure, I know I could buy an already converted keggle but I don't want to drop the coin. This heavy duty aluminum kettle cost me $75 delivered.

Portability is a big deal for me. Sometimes I brew in the basement, sometimes I brew on the back porch, sometimes I brew away from home. I go 'nomad' style a lot.

Very nice!

6mm wall thiickness (.162"). Sure beats the .035 thick wall on my retired Bayou.

So when do we get to see it in action?

If I get the diptubes installed and hopfilter fabbed up, maiden voyage will be tomorrow with Firebrewer.

UPDATE: Just did a dry (wet?) run using my portable March pump setup, and it worked flawlessly. Until I swap the ball-valve on my MLT from 3/8" to 1/2", that part of the system will be gravity-fed to the BK with HLT to MLT and BK to carboy transfers through the CFC will be pumped.

Anyone know if a 3/8" to 1/2" transition exists? I just need to fit the plug end of the QD onto the existing 3/8" ball-valve.

IMG_5960.JPG

I use a similar 15 gal, SS Bayou Classic pot as a kettle and I MUST get a bulkhead put in. It's impossible to keep the hot sides off my arms when I transfer. I'm glad you posted this, cause I haven't seen anything but DIY converted Sankes.

Can I ask you for details? Which bulkhead, from where? Got any pictures/guidance on the diptube/hopfilter mock up?

I was gonna order a couple polarware pots for MLT and hot liquer, but maybe I can save some loot if I can pull it off myself.

Very nice!

6mm wall thiickness (.162"). Sure beats the .035 thick wall on my retired Bayou.

So when do we get to see it in action?

Its a very nice pot if I didnt have a keggle I would go for it.

I thought it was 6mm also but its 6 gauge (approx. 5mm) The 6mm pot is over 100$

Nice kettle! As for keggles, I bought 3 on ebay and w/ shipping I didnt pay over 99$ per, so for all stainless 15.5 gallon keggle, I won't complain ;) But its definitely cheaper to go w/ the aluminum. And it looks bootyful! :) (these are for my HERMS build I'm working on)

Latest posts

Back