Beginner's lesson learned - What can possibly go wrong?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarrellQ

Reaction score
Third brew, feeling pretty confident since the first two turned-out fairly well, so thought I would ramp-up my game with an immersion chiller as opposed to an ice bath. Having completed a dry run, I knew there was no way my chiller would connect to my kitchen faucet nor would the immersion chiller outlet hose would reach the sink. So, my plan was to run a garden hose from outside through the window to the chiller and chill next to the sink. So, I put the chiller into the brew pot during the last 5 minutes of the 60 minute boil, and after 60 minutes, I quickly moved the pot from my gas stove to the counter next to the sink, I connected the garden hose, ran outside, turned the water on, ran back inside only to see, massive volumes of water spraying down what seemed to be every inch of my kitchen. Water was everywhere. By the time I got back outside to turn it off, even more water soaked my kitchen from hardwood floor to ceiling. What happened was when I quickly moved the 5 gallon pot from the stove to sink, I guess I dragged the immersion chiller hose over the flame and melted the hose. What a mess!

I guess I do feel like an idiot sharing this story, but, it is pretty funny. Also, how else could I have asked this question? Do you think a small amount of garden hose water going into the final wort, ruin my brew?

Nope, you will be ok. I had a water supply leak on my IC once. Was wondering why the pot was filling up! CRAP, I let it ferment, had almost 2 gallons in the fermenter. ABV was lower but the stiut was ok.
Bent the copper over my kettle edge, no leak issues since

Water out of a garden hose usually has a really funky plastic taste. I would not expect a small amount to hurt your beer's flavor, but I have never tested it.

Third brew, feeling pretty confident since the first two turned-out fairly well, so thought I would ramp-up my game with an immersion chiller as opposed to an ice bath. Having completed a dry run, I knew there was no way my chiller would connect to my kitchen faucet nor would the immersion chiller outlet hose would reach the sink. So, my plan was to run a garden hose from outside through the window to the chiller and chill next to the sink. So, I put the chiller into the brew pot during the last 5 minutes of the 60 minute boil, and after 60 minutes, I quickly moved the pot from my gas stove to the counter next to the sink, I connected the garden hose, ran outside, turned the water on, ran back inside only to see, massive volumes of water spraying down what seemed to be every inch of my kitchen. Water was everywhere. By the time I got back outside to turn it off, even more water soaked my kitchen from hardwood floor to ceiling. What happened was when I quickly moved the 5 gallon pot from the stove to sink, I guess I dragged the immersion chiller hose over the flame and melted the hose. What a mess!

I guess I do feel like an idiot sharing this story, but, it is pretty funny. Also, how else could I have asked this question? Do you think a small amount of garden hose water going into the final wort, ruin my brew?

Pics or it didn't happen.

I'm sure your beer and hardwood floors will be fine.

I use one of these ball valves on my immersion chiller so I can adjust the flow rate (or turn the water off if you melt the supply hose ;) ) at the kettle instead of having to run back and forth to the spigot. Cheers!

Third time brewing I shoved the vinyl exit tube from my chiller into the little overflow hole in my bathroom sink thinking it was a smart way to hold the line. Walked away for 5 minutes and came back to an overflowing sink draining across my bathroom. Beer turned out good though

Mine was outside, but I melted my garden hose with my turkey fryer burner. Mistakes are the only way I seem to learn.

Back