Beginners fermentation Q

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cablemn

Reaction score
I started fermentation 5 gal. 5 days ago and the bubbling in the airlock has come to a crawl. I used a John Bull malt and added one cup of granulated table sugar and 8 oz. of corn syrup and my packet of yeast. I plan on using a secondary ferm. carboy. why so little action from the airlock???
did i do something wrong? BTW temp is at 73 degrees. I'm trying the 1-2-3 method.

The majority of fermentation is done at about this time. The secondary is for clearing and for the final little bit of fermentation. No worries. You're right on schedule.:mug:

73 is a tad on the warm side, but nothing to panic over. Sounds like you're right on time. You may want to consider an extra week in primary to let the yeast reabsorb any esters it produced because of the warmer ferment.

I've had beer finish in 3 days, and others take a couple weeks. As long as it starts bubbling within the first day and doesn't sit more than a couple weeks in the primary, it will be fine. Yeast is a living thing and can be a bit unpredictable. As others have said, your right on schedule.

thanks guys. My mind is now at ease. Im gonna give it a couple more days then siphon into the secondary wait til its clear then move on.

Back