Beginners Book: Dummies vs. How To Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannygreer

Reaction score
As a VERY newbie to home brewing I was wondering if anyone can suggest literature that would be useful for a beginner. In fact, my only experience with beer up to this point is drinking it. :)

I have read that both the "Homebrewing for Dummies" and "How To Brew" are good books to start with, but was wondering if anyone is preferential to one over the other. I am looking for something that really lays out clearly all the steps of homebrewing.

Anyone have a particular book that really helped them when they started?

Thanks!
danny

i'd go with How To Brew. I read it after i had already started brewing and it was still very informative.

i find the dummies books to be more reference guides, not good as an introductional book.

EDIT: and if you like to read, Radical Brewing by Randy Mosher is a fantastic and informative book.

I've never read "Homebrewing For Dummies" so I can't comment on it. If it's anything like the other "... For Dummies" series of books, it's probably a good read and adequate for beginners.

Having said that, I would highly recommend "How To Brew" by John Palmer regardless of your level of experience, or lack there of. If you're skeptical at all, check out John's free, online first edition of "How To Brew" before you buy his new edition. You won't be disappointed. Everything a newbie brewer could possibly need to know to get started is in there, and then some!

The home brewing for dummies was a good book the guy at the lhbs recommended it to me. The local library had a copy so I was able to read it for free. I'd also check out brew ware from the library as well.

As the others have said, "How To Brew" is about as close to a must-read book as you'll find in the realm of homebrewing. also check out the Brew Wiki, a link to which can be found at the top of this page.

I have the "Homebrewing for Dummies" book. It led me through my first extract/grain batches and even my first partial mash. It is a solid book. But, "How to Brew" covers this plus some. I would go with How to Brew.

As a newbie, either book will do you good. How to Brew is a *really* in-depth book. Probably more than you need as a newbie. At the same time, it is one of those books you'll read and re-read and read again as you learn and grow.

If you're looking to buy just one book - How to Brew is it.

How to Brew is a great beginner's book, but it also is a reference I find myself coming back to over and over again.

The Complete Joy of Homebrewing is another good homebrew book, but is out of date at this point as others have mentioned. Homebrewing has advanced a lot since Papazian wrote the book. Still, his methods are so relaxed, that if you make good beer from TCJOHB, you really will learn to relax, don't worry, and have a homebrew.

How to brew is an excellent book. I'm still a noob, I have less than 10 batches under my belt, and I find myself going to the book for descriptions of grains when concocting new recipes, and (especially with the Hops shortage) finding good cross references for hops. :)

I have the Homebrewing for Dummies book. It helped me understand some real basics. I think it's useful. But, I've never read the "How to Brew".

I have and really like Charlie Papazian's "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing." I know it's not on your list, but it has served me well in my endeavors.

Back