Beginner temperature questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duridsr4fite

Reaction score
A couple temp questions....

I had a very big temperature swing in the middle of my primary fermentation. I was maintaining at 68, and then I had a power outage, and my brew dropped to 54. I brought it back up a little too quickly, and hit 72-73. I know it is still fermenting and probably fine, but what if any effects will/can this have on my beer?

Also, for secondary fermentation, do I need to maintain the same temp? (60-70)

Thanks in advance!!!

I wouldn't worry about it, it was probably only in that range for several hours before it cooled down 70 again. If it was days, that might be another thing. I believe the secondary fermentation temp isn't as important as the primary, but yeah, mid 60's is good.

High temperatures during the early stages of a primary ferment can result in additional fusels (hot alcohol flavors). Cold temperatures can cause the ferment to stall as the yeast go dormant.

Your temperature swings will probably cause no noticable differences. The cold temps may have temporarily slowed the ferment, however the warm temps should get them going again. just check the gravity to be sure.

A good secondary is a cool stable temp. Even if you want to store it at lager (32-40F) temps works just fine. At this point the ferment is complete, you are waiting for the yeast to settle out and for the flavors to mellow. Cold temps will speed up the yeast dropping out but can slow the mellowing.

Craig

Back