Beginner requesting help on Hefeweizen flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisgerlach

Reaction score
Just brewed up my first batch of beer and it is currently fermenting right now. It is a German Hefeweizen and I have it fermenting at a higher temperature in order to get a more banana-y flavor to it. I have the equipment to use a secondary fermenter, and if possible I want to boost the banana flavor. What is the easiest and best way to boost that flavor using the secondary fermenter?? Thank you for you help!

Last edited:
Secondary fermentation isn't going to help your banana flavor...many Brewers don't even bother with a secondary to begin with so at least IMO secondary isn't going to help you.

What will help is your primary fermentation temperature...also when bottling or kegging making sure to keep yeast in the beer when dispensing whether that is swirling the bottle to get the yeast off the bottom or a little shake of the keg...

Good luck!

Do I try and keep as much of the yeast in the beer as possible? Won't that leave floaties in the beer? So what is the cut off for primary fermentation temperature?? Is 80 too high?

Do I try and keep as much of the yeast in the beer as possible? Won't that leave floaties in the beer? So what is the cut off for primary fermentation temperature?? Is 80 too high?

I find when my hefe spends too much time in the keg and it clears, some important flavor character is lost. 80 would be too high for me. You can try playing around with your pitch rate.

At risk of sounding dumb... What's is the pitch rate?

Sorry haha. No worries. Pitch rate refers to the amount of yeast you pitch into your wort. While there is a common Consensus about how much to pitch for complete attenuation or a healthy fermentation, increasing or decreasing the number of yeast cells you put into a hefe can drastically alter its flavor.

So I'm assuming the more yeast you pitch the more banana flavor?? I bought my first ingredients in a Kit and they gave me a packet of liquid yeast. Can I add a whole other packet of that or not quite that much?? It's a 5 gallon batch btw.

So I'm assuming the more yeast you pitch the more banana flavor?? I bought my first ingredients in a Kit and they gave me a packet of liquid yeast. Can I add a whole other packet of that or not quite that much?? It's a 5 gallon batch btw.

I can't quite remember if more yeast = more banana at this point in the night (I've enjoyed a lot of my own hefe tonight). 1 pack is definitely needed in the least.

Actually you want to underpitch the Weizen yeast. Over pitching will result in a complete loss of the iso amyl acetate ( banana esters) This is the only situation that you would under pitch in. I make a Kristal Weizen on a regular basis and studied at American Brewers Guild. Ferment it at 68f for maximum banana flavor. The higher the temperature the more esters. But too high and you will get fusel alcohols, which you do not want. Which is why I stick to about 68 f. I do use secondary fermentation as well. Do not overpitch!!

Just saw the rest of you're post
Is it wyeast # 3068? If so that's a Great strain. You will need a blow off tube because it's a volcanic ferment. Do not use an air lock unless you want it all over the ceiling.
I wouldn't even culture it up if it's your first time. Just pour in the one pack of liquid culture and it will be perfect. Any other strain, as in a different beer, then you would need a higher pitch rate so you just make up a starter a day before. Or use 2 packages. But really, learn to make a starter, it's much cheaper.
If the yeast is White Labs #300 do the same thing, just pitch the one tube and that's it. I'm not huge on the clove esters which is why I do everything I can to maximize the banana esters. Everything I told you will do just that

Easy fix... go take the lid off. just rest the lid off to the side. The CO2 will keep bugs out, and let the yeast go crazy. High amounts of oxygen and such help produce a VERY fruity hefeweizen. After 72 hrs cover it back up and let it finish off. Be sure the yeast is done fermenting and get it in a bottle and drink it while it is young. Banana doesn't last very long in my experience. There is an episode on Brewtv on it.

http://brewingtv.com/episodes/2010/5/17/brewing-tv-episode-4-open-fermentation.html

Easy fix... go take the lid off. just rest the lid off to the side. The CO2 will keep bugs out, and let the yeast go crazy. High amounts of oxygen and such help produce a VERY fruity hefeweizen. After 72 hrs cover it back up and let it finish off. Be sure the yeast is done fermenting and get it in a bottle and drink it while it is young. Banana doesn't last very long in my experience. There is an episode on Brewtv on it.

http://brewingtv.com/episodes/2010/5/17/brewing-tv-episode-4-open-fermentation.html

Love this episode! Haven't been brave enough to try it yet haha. Southern California also necessitates a fermentation chamber so I'm more nervous about trying it.

California necessitates a lot of things. Not all of them are right... and it is still a fermentation chamber. Just not for the first 48-72 hours

California necessitates a lot of things. Not all of them are right... and it is still a fermentation chamber. Just not for the first 48-72 hours

I would just be worried about it not having the same effect just being open to the inside of the fridge or maybe condensation getting in if its a humid and hot week.

Back