Beginner questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TIM-MAY

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just got a kit for Christmas and have a couple questions.
My first batch will be an Irish stout from the Brewers best kit. How are the Brewers best kits? They have a lot of different ones that a noob can get some experience with. Second question is on secondary fermentation. Kit instructions say it is not necessary and I have read both yes do it and no don't? Which should it be? I'm leaning towards no for the first batch but not really sure???
Thanks for the help. This is what I got so far after 3 days of fermentation.
image.jpg

I started out transferring everything into secondary after 10-14 days per kit instructions. Based on info from HBT and a wide variety of other sources, I stopped secondarying unless I am bulk aging. I leave in primary 4 weeks and bottle. I think the beer quality has been much better since I stopped transferring to secondary.��

No secondary, and really its hard to say if you will like the kits are not b/c everyone has different taste. However, they are popular so I imagine your odds are good on liking the flavor of the beer.

So far, looks good..

Things to note/read up on for later batches:

- Proper temp control - Not sure what the temp is of the room that beer is sitting in, but fermenting warm can cause some off flavors (esters) and fusel alcohol to develop (stuff that gives you a hangover headache). Look into a "swamp cooler" for helping keep the beer fermenting at the right temp on the cheap.

- Secondaries are not needed..let the beer sit in primary for 2-3 weeks and then bottle.

- Sanitation! Do not take this lightly. Get some Star-San and a spray bottle for future batches if you have not done so already. It also makes sanitizing your bottles a snap. Clean everything. Twice.

- Get some plastic bucket fermenters from your LHBS..seeing folks using glass carboys makes my forearm scar (from my original glass carboy breaking on me) itch..Plastic buckets when kept clean and scratch-free are easier to move around and safer as a whole (not to mention cheaper).

- Remember to keep it as simple as you can with your equipment. Temp control and sanitation are the keys to great beer when starting out. You do NOT need shiny expensive equipment to make a great batch..its mostly sanitation and fermentation temp control especially with extract kits.

- Brew, brew and brew..try different extract kits, get a copy of "The Joy Of Homebrewing" book (GREAT book), read up on different techniques, brewing equipment and enjoy the hobby!

- Ask questions here. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask!

Brew on man and welcome to the madness!

Good advice above. If you like to clean and wait, you can be a brewer. Another good book is Brewing Classic Styles. It has competition winning recipes for each style in extract with steeping grains and all grain. Most recipes are single infusion.

My basic setup consists of a modified Brewer's Best kit I bought after ditching my Mr. Beer, which by the way, never recommended a secondary, either. It went from fermenter to bottle with extract and was one of my first good homebrews.
Brewer's Best sells good, simple ingredient kits just like Northern Brewer does, but in my opinion, you really don't need really a secondary unless you're aging a high alcohol brew or mead. Even then, you can do the basic ferment in a primary, then bottle condition and age. It's one less step in exposing your wort to contamination from air.

I quickly moved from extract to partial mash and all grain. Pre-packaged recipe kits can be comparatively expensive and I like to eliminate a lot of the cost. My local shop sells grain at nearly $1/lb or less, so going all grain is less expensive for me than buying pre-packaged kits or extract. Pre-packaged kits can be beneficial for beginners and those who don't have access to a nearby shop, so there's a trade-off.
Everyone has different means and priorities in this hobby, so there's no real "right way" as long as it works for you.

It looks to me like the kraeusen is about up to the airlock. It's apt to plug up the opening and blow out the airlock - making a big mess. It's common to set up a blow-off tube going into a jug of star san. Then it still acts as an airlock. The tube can be attached to the lower piece of the airlock if you use the right size tube (maybe 3/8", but I'm not sure). The star san jug is low so it doesn't siphon back. I haven't done this in a long time because I use a large fermenter, so I'm not sure about some of the details. A down side - I had a blow-off tube plug once when I had hops in the fermenter, so it might not be a sure fix.

Thanks all,

The temp in the room is mid low to mid 60's.

Yes the airlock blew off already. It was cleaned and put back. Spoke with someone from the brew store and he said it will be fine. That is why you see the towel in the pic. I will be getting a blow tube for next time.

Thanks again

Most has been said already, and I agree with it.

I see in the pic, you are probably in a downstairs area. I don't know how much light that room gets, but consider wrapping up your beer with a towel to just keep any light off it. Though its mainly a concern with UV light, you could skunk your beer. Plus its a super easy thing to do.

Are you bottling or kegging this? Being a noob I assume bottle. Don't forget to make your priming sugar solution! ;)

It Is in the basement and gets very little natural light. Other than the once or twice a day someone goes in there to grab something and turns the light off it remains dark. I will throw a towel around it. Yes it will be bottled.

Thanks for the tips

Bottled my first batch today. It looks good, smells good, and tasted good.

Hardest part for me so far besides the waiting has been cleaning the bottles. What a pain in the a$$. Maybe I was just being to anal about it or not but that SUCKED. Are there any tips on making that less sucky?

I dont do science very well so i think my fg was 1.015. recipe called for 1.011-1.014. I bottled after 22 days and had the time and couldnt wait another week or two before I could have the time again.

thanks for the tips when i brewed it helped alot. now the agonizing wait begins.

IMG_1040.jpg

Hardest part for me so far besides the waiting has been cleaning the bottles. What a pain in the a$$. Maybe I was just being to anal about it or not but that SUCKED. Are there any tips on making that less sucky?

I'd say for the first washing, it's probably best not to take any short cuts - assuming these were used bottles and had some residue. But when you drink the beer, you can wash the bottles out immediately with hot water. Make sure you get all the residue out, including any around the liquid line in the neck. And rinse well. I also rinse the outside well. Keep them in a clean place until needed next. Then on bottling day, you can just sanitize. It eliminates a separate bottle washing day.

Bottled my first batch today. It looks good, smells good, and tasted good.

I dont do science very well so i think my fg was 1.015. recipe called for 1.011-1.014. I bottled after 22 days and had the time and couldnt wait another week or two before I could have the time again.

thanks for the tips when i brewed it helped alot. now the agonizing wait begins.

I started kegging REALLY fast after I began this hobby, bottling is a pain without a doubt.

Here it is......my first ever brew. Tad over carbed but quite good for a first go. Thanks for all the tips

Please hide a few bottles of that stout for 6 to 12 months so you get to taste some when it is fully matured. I think you will be amazed at how the flavor changes.

The easiest way to clean bottles is to not start with dirty bottles.

Back