Beginner question, trub in bottles? ok to drink?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesewelch

Reaction score
Hey all,

I bottled my first batch about 2 weeks ago and put it away in the basement. I just checked on it today and it appears that some trub (or something) has settled on the bottom of each bottle. All of the bottles had about a 1/4 inch of it resting at the bottom of the bottles. Are these bottles okay to drink? Should I filter it (using cheesecloth or something) when pouring out of the bottles and into a glass?

The batch was the Everyday IPA kit from Brooklyn Brew Pub, 1 gallon mix, and my first attempt. I tried not to siphon any of the trub out of the glass bottle and thought I did a decent job, but it appears in all of the bottles even the first ones that I filled up.

thanks

all naturally carbonated beer will have sediment on the bottom. you just decant the beer into a glass leaving the sediment behind. the sediment will not harm you if you wish to drink it.

Usually at 2 weeks,it's carbing up ok,but not conditioned. 3-5 weeks is more normal for average gravity ales. But with 1/4" of trub in the bottom,I'd say it didn't get much time to clean up & settle out before bottling day. Time & patience will leave more trub in primary,& less in the bottles.

It is ok to drink and its also healthy, however, it may lead to an unintended "yeasty" flavor if you pour it into your glass. Generally with bottle conditioned beers, you pour slowly against the "shoulder" of the bottle (where the bottle starts to curve for the neck) to allow the yeast to stay behind in the bottle, and usually leave about 1/2 of an inch of beer behind.

It is also not wrong to just pour the whole thing in, and with wheat beers its usually recommended to pour the whole thing.

Thanks everyone. I just wanted to drink one tonight for New Years. I'll leave the rest in the bottles for a couple more weeks before opening them.

The yeast in the beer is not a bad thing, in fact it is full of vitamin B complex. You can buy it in many healthfood stores, and the Belgian's practically worship it for it's healthful benefits.

brewersyeast.jpg

But most folks, especially Americans who for generations have been weened on crystal clear, pasturized and filtered "dead" beers like BMC are frightened of the cloudyness and yeasty taste of bottle conditioned beers with a lot of yeast in it.We have been encultured to be used to bland, tasteless, massed produced pablum, so many folks are downright scared of "Real" things that may be sour, or raw, or earthy.

And yes folks do have issues, initially, dealing with the oligosaccyhrydes in yeast, so folks in the beginning do get gassy, or some, have GI issues, but eventually we tolerate it. Just look at the threads about yeast farts and you'll see. We've all gone through it, and our gut's gotten used to it.

Thanks. I'm fine with some yeast in the beer. I drink a lot of Belgian wheats, so I'm used to it. I just didn't know if I screwed up somewhere or it was suppose to be like that in my first batch.

Back