Beginner made Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SolomonCrosby

Reaction score
I'm new to home brewing and made a Hefeweizen last batch. It turned out light, not much of a full flavor.

Any suggestions for next go?

what flavor do you like in a hefeweizen? I really like banana punch you in the face. Fermenting at a higher temp than normal (74-75 ish) bring out a lot of different flavors depending on the yeast. I call my hefeweizen bananagasm.

I like the clove with a hint of banana. I ferment with WY 3068 at 62° to 63°F. What was your recipe, yeast, and fermentation temperature?

Fresh, fresh ingredients. Aim for 50/50 between pilsner and wheat extracts (assuming you're extract). Good, fresh yeast such as wyeast 3068 or White labs 500...the yeast is the driver for the flavors in this beer. 15 IBUs with a noble hop variety; I like Hallertau.

And then fermentation temperature is huge as well; lower 60's will repress the banana esters a bit, high 60's to low 70's will increase the banana. I like 62-64, still plenty of banana but it blends with the clove well and isn't overpowering.

We used a wy 3056 with a partial boil and fermented about 70. Definitely got the banana flavor but it almost tastes watered down.

Back