Beginner looking for advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Croakersoaker

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to this and would like to start with the apfelwein recipe. It says to use a five gallon carboy but I just realized the kit I bought from amazon comes with a 6.5 gallon. Will this work does it need to be filled to the top. Sorry I have been reading alot but have not seen this adressed

What size batch are you doing? If you are doing a 5gal batch, a 6.5gal carboy is prefered as you will need the extra space for the krausen. If you use a 5gal carboy you will need a blow off tube.

I ferment 2.5-3 gallon batches in my 5 gallon carboys all of the time and have yet to have a problem. The open space will fill with CO2 once fermentation has begun, so there is no need to worry about oxidation or contamination. Good luck!

Thank you very much I'm really excited to make my own wine. I know there is a lot of info here but sometimes it's not spelled out for you so for a Newbie it can be quite overwhelming thanks so much for your replies

pretty sure your apelfwein wont even have much krausen. so really, you could even do 6 gallons. your abv would just be a little lower.

Back