Beginner Kegging Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parker36

Reaction score
Just got my hands on a new to me kegging setup. Ball-lock cornies with 5# CO2 tank and dual regulator. For some reason the guy that gave it to me didn't include the quick disconnect liquids outs, so I will need to get some new ones. A few questions I have.

1) How do you tell if you need to change the o-rings? I've found tons of stuff on the methodology of changing on the boards, but not a good way of deciding. Is it just a matter of filling it up with some water and seeing if the keg will hold pressure?

2) What are the best cleaning supplies for the kegs and hoses? I've seen TSP listed for the kegs. but I have a ton of Star-san and PBW in stock, so if I could, I would like to stick to those.

3) What about lube for the caps? I have seen some people who like to use it, some who don't. Is it just a matter of getting a better seal?

4) So I have a standard dual regulator and a single 5# CO2 tank. Is there a way to have both kegs hooked up to the CO2 at the same time? I know that both would have to be subjected to the same pressure for as long as they are both attached. I have found this that claims to do this job, but am skeptical. Anybody have any experience with something similar?

I'm new as well but here is my thoughts....

#1...you will find out by it not holding pressure I'd guess. Use a mixture of star-san and water and coat all proper connection areas looking for bubbles etc. If you bought used...it might be a good idea to change them out before you use them the first time as rings are cheap.

#2...I use oxy-clean free for cleaning and star-san for sanitizing.

#3...I use food grade lube on the lid o-ring every time I fill a keg. Will extend life as possibly help it seat/seal better.

#4...a splitter will do. What you linked is what I have for my two taps and alls well.

Best of luck!!

:mug:

1) How do you tell if you need to change the o-rings? I've found tons of stuff on the methodology of changing on the boards, but not a good way of deciding. Is it just a matter of filling it up with some water and seeing if the keg will hold pressure?

I usually only change my o rings when I first get them if they smell like soda. I've been kegging for only a few months, and my o rings all seem good still. They should last quite a while (~1 year?) if you keep them lubbed. I'll be replacing mine if they have cracks, or if they no longer hold pressure.

2) What are the best cleaning supplies for the kegs and hoses? I've seen TSP listed for the kegs. but I have a ton of Star-san and PBW in stock, so if I could, I would like to stick to those.
I use PBW and StarSan for cleaning and sanitizing kegs and they've worked fine for me

3) What about lube for the caps? I have seen some people who like to use it, some who don't. Is it just a matter of getting a better seal?
Not sure what you mean by "cap". All o rings get lub on my kegs.
4) So I have a standard dual regulator and a single 5# CO2 tank. Is there a way to have both kegs hooked up to the CO2 at the same time? I know that both would have to be subjected to the same pressure for as long as they are both attached. I have found this that claims to do this job, but am skeptical. Anybody have any experience with something similar?
I use a similar splitter and it works just fine. The downside is that you have to keep the 2 kegs at the same pressure. This is only annoying when you force carb, since you have to disconnect the other keg. The only other option that I know of is to get a second LP reg

You are right, check the keg to see if it will hold pressure. You can use a soap mix or maybe a spray bottle of starsan to spray on the posts and around the lid to see if you see any bubbles or air leaking. If you find any leaks then replacing the o rings is a pretty good place to start. Sometimes if it is just leaking around the lid a little bit a little more pressure will help to seat the lid and the leak will stop. I always break down my kegs and replace all o rings when I first get a keg and then after every few uses. After I break down the keg I soak the keg and all of its parts in PBW or Oxyclean free. I usually leave this to soak overnight. After a good rinse out I reassemble the keg with the new o rings and will do the pressure test. If it passes I will use starsan or 1step to sanitize the keg.
I have never used or never needed to use keg lube.
I know many people that use that co2 splitter you linked to. They seem to work just fine. Just make sure you use some thread tape when putting it together and check for leaks so that you don't leak an entire bottle of co2. You will really enjoy kegging. Good luck!

You can usually visually inspect the o-rings to see if they are damaged, if there is any evidence I'd replace them as they're cheap. Otherwise, as long as they hold pressure and don't leak I leave them be.

I also clean with Oxyclean and soak in star san to clean. I usually put about a gallon in a keg and put the lid on, shake the crap out of it to foam it up, do that a couple times. Then I'll dump that same oxyclean or star san into the next keg, etc to cut down on usage.

I don't use lube but I probably should.

I have a similar splitter, I agree the downside is trying to serve off one and force carb on another. It gets annoying but not so much that I've bought another reg yet.

I just got 6 used kegs and spent the majority of my night cleaning them yesterday. I took everything apart, removed poppets, dip tubes, removed all o-rings, soaked everything for some time in a oxyclean solution, then rinsed everything VERY thoroughly. After drying everything, I lubed and re-o-ringed everything. All of my kegs have brand new and lubricated o-rings to help ensure the smallest likelihood of leaks, and I know that all my o-rings are good so that cuts 1 step out when troubleshooting and they'll all be on the same schedule. The lube just helps to create a seal and allow the rings to "slip" slightly to ensure a better seal.

O-rings: if you rub your finger on the ring and any color comes off, the ring is breaking down. Visual inspection for fine cracks and gouges. Post o-rings are exposed to oxygen & tend to decompose after a few years.

IMO...
You do not need to worry about force carbing with that splitter unless you're wanting it forced immediately. I just hook up my flat brew to my standard serving PSI of 12 and let it sit. Within a week its carbed well and it has time to settle/clear which is a big plus to me.
Also, my splitter has shutoff valves for each side which is nice as if you want to force it at higher PSI, I can just shut one side down whenever not in use etc.

Back