Beginner Kegging Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZenFitness

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have kegged two beers so far at home without problems. Yesterday, I kegged my third beer and this time laid it on the floor and rolled it back and forth for about 20 - 30 minutes. From what I've heard, this helps carbonation. My PSI is set to 13.

However, in trying to pour the beer, I am getting all foam and the beer is flat. I disassembled the keg and cleaned it prior to kegging, and perhaps it hasn't been sitting long enough with the CO2 pressure.

My line is relatively short (4') but I didn't have an issue on the previous beer in this keg with foam. Is this just a matter of waiting longer for it to carbonate? I searched the forum but I'm not quite clear based on the answers.

You have overcarbonated your beer. To fix that, youll need to purge the pressure from the keg several times per day until it settles down. The most fool proof way to get perfect carbonation is to hook it up at serving pressure/temperature and leave it for about 10 days.

Thanks mason... do I need to disconnect CO2 while I do this, and how many days do you think it takes to correct before I try to recarb?

Depends on temp and how overcarbed it is, but probably a few days. I would unhook the gas line during this process. You can pour samples each day until it's no longer a glass of foam, then hook up again at serving pressure and leave it.

20-30 minutes at 13psi doesn't seem like over carbonation, you just need to give it more time. I usually set mine to 25psi for about 24 hours then reduce it to 12psi and leave it there, beer is pretty good after about 4 days.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

What temp was the keg at when you rolled it on the floor. I would just set the pressure to 25 ish, make sure the keg gets down to serving temp for 8 hours or so. Then I usually roll and shake the keg for a while while connected to c02. Then let it sit overnight and drop back to serving pressure..

If you shook around a warm keg for 30 minutes then hooked it up to c02 and tried to serve it that could be your whole problem.. Warm beer on tap = foam.

Also is the beer coming out like a fire hose at 13 psi? You may need more draft line. I had this issue for quite some time until I upped the length to about 10 - 11 feet.

Thanks all. The beer had been cold crashed, so it was probably in the mid 50s by that point. This was yesterday, and it is still spitting foam today.

The foam does shoot out like a fire hose.

Thanks all. The beer had been cold crashed, so it was probably in the mid 50s by that point. This was yesterday, and it is still spitting foam today.

The foam does shoot out like a fire hose.

I would say drop it down to like 2 PSI and see if you can pour a normal pint. I had foam issues for so long I almost threw in the towel. Turned out to not only to be a draft line length issue (at 4 ft which you are), but also a combination of keezer air circulation, and horrible cheap faulty C02 regulator that I used. I took temp readings above my keg and it was almost 10 degrees warmer than the bottom of my keezer.

1)Pour a pint check the actual beer temp.

2) Get more draft line, 13 psi at 10 or 11 ft 3/16 ID (*DONT USE 1/4 ID*)
will pour slow and steady.

3)And re tighten all your clamps.

I say lower to 2 or 3 PSI, just to see if you get non-foamy beer. It may not be carbed, but that should avoid the 75% foam glass.

Back