Beginner Help Authentic Belgium Sours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doing my first brew right now! American Pale Ale it included with my home brew kit from more beer. I think I’m going to take the plunge and go for the authentic sour.

Maybe a lambic? Or should I try a different style?

I’m hoping to have like 10-15 fermonsters most of them sours and keep like 2-3 for clean beers.

That's a big step, from first brew to having 10 to 15 Fermonsters. that is also a significant investment. Try walking before you run.

There are alot of people who take up this hobby and then decide it just takes up too much time and only end up doing a few brews.

There are people like me who get into sours and then 'not so much'. I made a lot for a while (several years), I still drink sours, but not as often. I currently have 35 gallons (25 - 1 gallon fermenters and 4 - 2.5 gallon fermenters) filled with sours, all have been in the fermenter for over 3 years. I also have 100 bottles of sours waiting to be consumed. These are good beers, but I just changed what I wanted to drink, I might drink one a week; I have enough to last the next 10 years or maybe the rest of my life, + I occasionally buy some to try and compare.

Just a warning it is easy to go over the top while waiting for the beer to finish (a couple of years) and you may not want it all when it is done. Keep it in moderation.

That's a big step, from first brew to having 10 to 15 Fermonsters. that is also a significant investment. Try walking before you run.

There are alot of people who take up this hobby and then decide it just takes up too much time and only end up doing a few brews.

There are people like me who get into sours and then 'not so much'. I made a lot for a while (several years), I still drink sours, but not as often. I currently have 35 gallons (25 - 1 gallon fermenters and 4 - 2.5 gallon fermenters) filled with sours, all have been in the fermenter for over 3 years. I also have 100 bottles of sours waiting to be consumed. These are good beers, but I just changed what I wanted to drink, I might drink one a week; I have enough to last the next 10 years or maybe the rest of my life, + I occasionally buy some to try and compare.

Just a warning it is easy to go over the top while waiting for the beer to finish (a couple of years) and you may not want it all when it is done. Keep it in moderation.
Thanks for saying all that, you’re definitely right. It would be a slow process that’s for sure, I don’t have the money to buy all those now. But I’m buying two or three more this week.

Feel free to send some of those sours this way! I’ll let you know how they are. Seriously.

I appreciate your ambition and passion. RPh guy is right as usual, you will naturally fall into a brewing rhythm whereby you have some kettle sours and quicker-turnaround beers rotating along with a cellar of traditional mixed ferms if that is what you are after. Get the basics down first and then expand.

As a sour lover as well I do understand your eagerness as I have been brewing 6 months and just made my first lambic, man every time I look at that carboy I think...At least another year...

Just understanding the mixed fermentation blends and different types of yeast/bacteria is a rabbit hole some homebrewers never go down. It is fun.

I appreciate your ambition and passion. RPh guy is right as usual, you will naturally fall into a brewing rhythm whereby you have some kettle sours and quicker-turnaround beers rotating along with a cellar of traditional mixed ferms if that is what you are after. Get the basics down first and then expand.

As a sour lover as well I do understand your eagerness as I have been brewing 6 months and just made my first lambic, man every time I look at that carboy I think...At least another year...

Just understanding the mixed fermentation blends and different types of yeast/bacteria is a rabbit hole some homebrewers never go down. It is fun.
Thanks brother! Yeah after tasting Real Belgian sours I was hooked and Had to make my own since I don’t have the money to drink them like PBRs or even Red Oaks. And haha oh yeah I’ve been going down the rabbit hole ever since I got on here, I had no idea how much there was to making Good beer.

Had my first jolly pumpkin and holy moly is it amazing! Hands down one of my favorites ever! The bam beire is my favorite so far, gettin me excited to brew these kind of sours soon, and hurry up and wait...

Back