Beginner Brewer Reading List

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PassThePint

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all, I recieved a copy of "The Complete Joy of Home Brewing" when I purchased my starter kit about 1.5 months ago. I've been brewing like crazy since then (a bunch of buddies and I have brewed ~35 gallons in the last month), but I'm quickly realizing that we need more education.

I've have read and re-read many chapters in the "Joy of Homebrewing" book, but still would like more detail on some of the more advanced brewing techniques (yeast starter with stirrer plate, designing your own recipe, etc). If you could recommend any books to a new brewer, it would be much appreciated!

There are so many books out there I don't know where to begin.

Must Haves:

How to Brew
Designing Great Beers
Radical Brewing

Great Reads
Brewing Classic Styles
Brew Like a Monk
Farmhouse Ales
Wild Brews
Tasting Beer

There is also a pamphlet out there called 'The fungus among us' that details yeast culturing for homebrewers co authored by Chris White from White Labs. i have not read it like all the others I've listed but I've heard good things about it. It also isn't that easy to find from what I've seen. I bet whatever info in that pamphlet could be easily obtained by searching this forum or reading the wiki.

Last edited by a moderator:
Read "How To Brew" by John Palmer. An earlier edition is available at howtobrew.com, but it's worth buying the book. The only knock I have against Palmer is that he makes me nervous about all the things that could go wrong with my beer. If you've read Papazian, and know to RDWHAHB, Palmer's the best.

Thank you already for all the great suggestions! I am patiently waiting for my 1st kegged beer to calm down and stop being foamy (it was forced carbed 3 days ago) so I can officially RDWHAHB.

Back