Beginner All-Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood205

Reaction score
So, I just had my first brew, which happened to be an all-grain brew. Just curious if there are more people out there that started with all-grain. I figured it was cheaper and I had the equipment. My brew day had it's issues, but it as well as you would think for a first timer. My OG was low 1.030, but I tested before the wort was cool. The fermentation is going great so I hope for the best. Here is my Pale ale recipe, any tips would be appreciated.

BRIESS PALE 2 ROW 8lbs
BRIESS 40L CRYSTAL MALT 1 lb
DINGEMANS BELGIAN BISCUIT .5 lb
CASCADE 1 oz (60)
CHINOOK .5 oz (10)
CHINOOK .5 oz (1)
CENTENNIAL 1 oz (dry)
SAFALE US-05

I always have a couple pounds of DME around so I can adjust my pre-boil gravity for those days where my efficiency just isn't there for whatever reason.

That OG seems awfully low for 9.5 lbs of grain (assuming a 5 gallon batch). Are you sure you measured correctly?

I don't think I did. I took it as it was cooling. I have read the that can make it read low.

helibrewer said:
Plugged into BeerSmith I get 1.050 estimated with 72% total efficiency (75% mash efficiency) for 5 gallons

Yeah that sounds about right. OP said his OG was 1.030. That's less than 50% eff, no?

Well, That sounds better. I will just need the take better measurements next time and lay off the beer drinking during the brew. Thanks!

I also went AG right off the bat and had similar challenges, but my first batch turned out great and the second batch as good or better. No regrets.

Well if you took your reading at 160 degrees that means your OG was somewhere around 1.052, which makes way more sense. Could the temp have been that high?

Well if you took your reading at 160 degrees that means your OG was somewhere around 1.052, which makes way more sense. Could the temp have been that high?

It might have been. I was doing so much at the time it was cooling (cleaning and etc)

Well I suppose we'll never know. Good luck though, I'm sure it'll be great...because YOU made it!

I just take the gravity pre boil (cooled sample) and then do some math to figure my OG ... the key for me and really getting my numbers straight was being very specific about my volumes ...

I made a stick and marked it in qt. increments .. as long as I know how much wort I collected pre boil and the gravity of it, there is no need for me to take a sample post boil ...

if I have 6 gallons of 1.042 wort pre boil and I boil off a gallon of it, the math would go like this

42x6=252 ... then 252 divided by my final volume of 5 = 50.4 ... so my FG is 1.054 and change

I like not having to mess with the hydrometer once I am done with the boil so this really works well for me ... good luck on the first batch !!!

I use a refractometer so I take a gravity right out of the MLT to give me an idea where I am, then like cadarnell I dial in the pre-boil volume/OG using DME if I need to.

With the refractometer I can take SG readings every 15 min during the boil and keep my post boil OG accurate (the refractometer is temp compensating so I don't have to worry about cooling too much).

Back