Begginer Stout Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys!
This is the first recipe i've put together, and i'm interested what you think about it, and I really need some advice!

So, I'm trying to make a stout, all grain with a 5 gallon batch size, BIAB

Grains:
10lbs Pale Malt
2lbs Carapils
1lbs Carafa 3
1lbs Chocholate malt
1lbs Roasted barley

Hops:
Bittering Target
Aroma Fuggles

I'm thinking a 60 minute mash at 154F
I'm really confused with boil times, and when to add the hops
So yeah, thanks for the help in advance, and sorry for my english :)

The traditional hopping schedule is to add hops with 60 minutes left to boil (bittering hops), another addition with 15-30 minutes left to boil (flavor), and a final addition with 5-10 minutes left to boil (aroma.)

Having said that, for my last stout stout I added about 35 IBUs worth of hops at 60 minutes and that's all. Given your hops, I'd add the target (35 IBUs) at 60 minutes and a bit of fuggles at 5 minutes.

I'll let someone else with a little more experience making stouts chime in on the grain bill...I don' brew too many. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
The traditional hopping schedule is to add hops with 60 minutes left to boil (bittering hops), another addition with 15-30 minutes left to boil (flavor), and a final addition with 5-10 minutes left to boil (aroma.)

Having said that, for my last stout stout I added about 35 IBUs worth of hops at 60 minutes and that's all. Given your hops, I'd add the target (35 IBUs) at 60 minutes and a bit of fuggles at 5 minutes.

I'll let someone else with a little more experience making stouts chime in on the grain bill...I don' brew too many. Hope this helps.
Thanks! That helps a lot!

As a basic stout recipe this looks pretty good, but I would cut back the carapils to more like 4oz and both the chocolate malt and roasted barley to 8oz and probably ditch the carafa. I usually like to make mine on the creamier side. Besides what you have there, I use flaked oats, white wheat malt, and some crystal 120. For a good black color I put in a few ounces of blackprinz.

Thanks! Its good to know that I dont have some huge mistake. I what proportions would you recomend flaked oats and white wheat malt and the crystal 120? The sad thing is, that here in my country I'have a really limited malt source, but I'll probably have blackprinz

1lb of flaked oats (These can be the instant oats in the store)
4 oz of white wheat Malt (regular wheat malt would probably be ok in a pinch)
4oz of crystal 120
2 oz of Blackprinz

1lb of flaked oats (These can be the instant oats in the store)
4 oz of white wheat Malt (regular wheat malt would probably be ok in a pinch)
4oz of crystal 120
2 oz of Blackprinz
Thank you! I think I have a somewhat fine recipe now!

I would consider adding a dark crystal malt like c120 to this. C60 even.

How did this turn out?
Sady it got delayed because of my brewing partner had to travel, and after coming back he suggested wait with this recipe till late autumn, and make something refreshing instead, so we decided to experiement with some smash, but it will get done someday, and i will report back!

Back