Bees and honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bierandbikes

Reaction score
I have been brewing beer for a couple of years now but have never brewed mead...mostly because of a lack of good local honey at a reasonable price. I have made the first step in solving that issue. I just acquired a ton of secondhand beekeeping equipment. I think I have enough to set up 6 complete hives, although I think I will start with 2 and work up from there.

Any advice on books, references, suppliers, etc. is appreciated. I live near Fredericksburg, VA if there are any other brewers/beekeepers in the area. I am taking a class in February and hope to install my first bees in April. By this time next year I hope to be enjoying mead with the honey, hops and water coming straight off my little farm.

Paul

I'm working on getting into amateur beekeeping as well, and at least with the top bar hives I'll be working with it's a good idea not to harvest honey the first year. The bees need all the food they can get that first year to make it through the winter. So you're looking at an additional year before you can make your first mead with your own honey. But it will be worth it, good luck.

I have read that the hive requires a significant amount of honey to make it through the winter. I am hoping for a large enough crop to harvest at least a few pounds for myself but understand the priority is to get the bees through the winter in healthy numbers. I am just excited that I finally have the means to start.

Congrats on getting into beekeeping. I would say that you should check out if you have a local beekeepers association to start. 2 hives is a good starting point because you can compare whats going on in one to the other.
"The backyard beekeeper" or "the beekeepers handbook" are good books that explain things really well.
I would clean your used equipment really really well before you get bees in there. You never know what was in there before and there is some nasty stuff out there (American foul brood for example)
You will probably get a starter hive in April or may, depending on your climate, and will have to leave the honey the first year. My wife and I harvested 38 pounds out of one hive this year though, so it's worth it if you are interested.
Good luck!

First don't think of a beehive as a garden where you plant in may and harvest in sept. They are more like an orchard where it might be a few years before production is enough to see any gains. First thing to worry about is getting the bees established and happy. The honey comes after that.

You need to check your local regs. Some places require you (by law) to register all new hives and some require approval first. If you don't meet the local requirements they might not even OK you to start up.

If you are taking a class then you have already found your local beekeeper association? First order is to have one of them check over your used equipment to make sure its not full of something nasty. Did your used equipment come with combs? Are there any little worms eating your combs right now? You have to keep it all protected right now, not wait until its ready to put bees in (just in case you didnt know about wax moths). If you have the means start with 4 or 5 colonies instead of 2, you want bees in there taking care of all those combs you just got, plus if 1 or 2 hives are weak then you have the others to boost them up. Also pick up some nucs, you can start some of your own colonies in nucs and expand faster into the rest of your equipment. WICWAS.com has a lot of beekeeping books. You need to talk to your club about ordering packages or nuc colonies now, bees are in high demand and if you dont get your orders in early you risk not getting any bees. Virginia has some local queen breeders, your local club should be able to help you find them, get some of them going if you can in your nucs. This year you are growing bees, you might get a comb or two for you, depends on the year of course, if its a crazy good year you might get supers off of packages, but dont count on it. Make sure you get into those hives often and learn how to handle the bees this year, its a lot of fun. WVMJ

There are several associations in your area. Fredericksburg, Stafford, and King George all have associations. Here is the contact info for Rappahannock Beekeepers Association. http://www.rappahannockbeekeepers.com/
President: Irving West Phone: 540-371-9596

I suggest you find a good Nuc producer to get your bee's from. A good Nuc, well managed will make 50+ pounds of honey the first year, if it is a average year.

Know little of the bees (though father used to keep them), but why the hell would you want to add hops to mead ?

Prolly some strange type of bittered mead out there (plenty of those weirdomels out there), but generally you don't use bittering agents. Thats for beer.

Mead is basically honey wine and should normally be made as such.

There's room for a few beer making methods but those that are usable are minimal........

Read everything you can get your hands on, listen to the locals, get an epi-pen and choose the site of your apiary carefully. Most of the old timers around here are happy to share knowledge and even give hands on instruction, I bet you will find the same welcoming mindset out your way. They will also know which race of bees will be the best for you. Mann Lake is my first choice for equipment and such, but most of the wooden ware is easy to make yourself. Oh yeah you will get stung....

Bloke, does Tej count, we had some that was still in the process of aging, interesting stuff even when it wasnt finished. WVMJ

Know little of the bees (though father used to keep them), but why the hell would you want to add hops to mead ?

Prolly some strange type of bittered mead out there (plenty of those weirdomels out there), but generally you don't use bittering agents. Thats for beer.

Mead is basically honey wine and should normally be made as such.

There's room for a few beer making methods but those that are usable are minimal........

Back