Beerswap 2007: chillHayze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uwmgdman

Reaction score
Since I couldn't find a thread with his beers, I'll start one.

Beer
Apricot Wheat

Appearance
Pours a fairly clear light golden color with a thin white head. The head doesn’t last very long and leaves no lacing.

Aroma
The aroma is low malt sweetness, a little cereal like, with a low amount of fruit in the background. I enjoy the aroma, I can smell the wheat and the fruit is subtle, a definite plus.

Palate/Flavor
The initial taste is slightly sweet with a hint of the apricot. Hop bitterness is appropriately low, but enough where it provides sufficient balance. The finish is somewhat tart and quite dry. The dryness lasts a little after the swallow, but not overly long. The carbonation is medium/low, gives a very slight prick, and then finishes quite smoothly.

Overall/Notes
Thank you for a good, refreshing beer. The balance and flavor were both good, but I especially enjoyed the finish, smooth and an ideal amount of dryness for the style, perhaps the Pacman yeast combined with the wheat?

I also appreciate how the fruit is not overdone, which sometimes can be a problem with fruit beers.

Very drinkable, I could have many, especially on a warm night with some friends.

I think the head retention/slightly lower carbonation than expected might have something to do with the fill from the kegerator, but it certainly did not detract from the beer.

Beer
Old Ale

Appearance
The beer pours fairly clear reddish-brown with a nice ½ inch thick off-white head. The head lasted with a little bit of lacing also. A nice looking ale.

Aroma
Aroma is high on the malt, caramel sweetness, dark fruits, prune/raisin like, a bit spicy and a hint of alcohol. There is also a low hop aroma, slightly floral/spicy.

Palate/Flavor
Initially the beer is all malt, high malty flavor, a little caramel, but more bittersweetness, oak, and raisin-like. At the swallow a solid balance is achieved with moderate hop bitterness, a low hop flavor, and a bit of alcohol shining through. The carbonation is moderate, medium-full body, but still has good drinkability for the beast.

Overall/Notes
This brew is a winner! All around it impressed me. A very inviting aroma, great malt flavor, solid hop bitterness kept it from being overly sweet. I can’t find anything to pick at. Well one thing, I don’t have the recipe. If you wouldn’t mind sharing I’d like to take a peak at it and would like to brew it at some point.

Thanks for a great brew!

Thanks uw for the reviews! I somehow missed this thread and I was just getting around to starting one of my own.

The Wheat had decent carbonation from the keg but filling from the tap killed it for sure. Now I have a beergun so the next one will better I promise.

The Old Ale - now that one is indeed a beast. It was the "Fire in the Hole" Mini Mash kit from Northern brewer, with some malt and hop additions, and subtracting the oak chips. It was my 2nd mini mash I believe.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Fire in the Hole
Brewer: Matt
Asst Brewer:
Style: Old Ale
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (35.0) Should be... Interesting...

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 2.71 gal
Estimated OG: 1.089 SG
Estimated Color: 18.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 39.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 14.4 %
7 lbs Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 50.3 %
2 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 14.4 %
1 lbs Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 7.2 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 5.4 %
8.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 3.6 %
8.0 oz Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 3.6 %
2.9 oz Carafa I (337.0 SRM) Grain 1.3 %
2.00 oz Centennial [10.40%] (60 min) Hops 22.7 IBU
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.80%] (30 min) Hops 12.4 IBU
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.80%] (5 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.00%] (10 min) Hops 1.5 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 7.0 days) Misc
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale (rehydrated)

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 4.93 lb
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 6.16 qt of water at 172.5 F 158.0 F 45 min

Notes:
------
gravity was 25 into secondary. A nice rich deep copper color. Initially a very fresh malt flavor, backed up by strong hoppy bitterness and flavor.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Primary 2 weeks, Secondary 5 weeks, Aged until you drank it.

It went from 80 gravity to 23 which is only 7.5%ABV but they will creep up on you for sure!

I still have about a case of this and I am loving every one.

Latest posts

Back