Beerstone? in aluminum kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 141939

Reaction score
My last brew I noticed lots of floaties in the mash water as I was heating it. My HLT is the same pot I use for the boil later on as well.

I'm cleaning it today and noticing the brownish layer formed on the bottom of my kettle is now flaking off. I'm wondering if it is beerstone. This actually happened once before with this kettle. I soaked the bottom a bit with PBW and scrubbed the layer away which worked pretty easily and then just boiled some water in the kettle before using again.

My questions are:
  1. Am I right in thinking it's beerstone
  2. Should I be concerned about the "beerstone" beer I just made?
  3. Any tips for cleaning aluminum? I need to just bite the bullet and by something stainless.
Here are pics of the bottom of the kettle and a glass of water showing some of the flakes of stuff settled to the bottom.

https://imgur.com/a/Zslb6Gf

Thanks!

That's a pretty thick glommeration, probably should have nicked that some time ago.

1. Sure looks like it
2. Probably won't affect the beer
3. Bar Keepers Friend and blue scrubby should get it off, then you'll need to repassivate the kettle...

Cheers!

For future prevention, add more calcium to your water.
I believe acid cleaners are what the pros use to remove beerstone. Perhaps a warmed-up starsan soak might work?

Thanks I'll get it cleaned before next batch. I already add about 70 ppm (at least) to water for each batch, not sure I want to start adding more, I suppose I could try 100.

Thanks I'll get it cleaned before next batch. I already add about 70 ppm (at least) to water for each batch, not sure I want to start adding more, I suppose I could try 100.
hmm, 70ppm should be more than enough to prevent beerstone. Before I analyzed my water source and started adjusting I would occasionally get a layer of beerstone, although usually in the fermenter. Haven't seen any in years, and I've never adjusted to more than maybe 70-80ppm, usually closer to 60. I wonder if your layer isn't calcium oxalate, but something else.

I decided to take a look at your pic after all. The beerstone layer I experienced in the past was more flakes of tan colored almost wafers. Friable, they would break apart easily. Maybe a difference because I found mine in the fermenter, not BK?? I wonder if there is a way of analyzing the chemical composition.

I decided to take a look at your pic after all. The beerstone layer I experienced in the past was more flakes of tan colored almost wafers. Friable, they would break apart easily. Maybe a difference because I found mine in the fermenter, not BK?? I wonder if there is a way of analyzing the chemical composition.

Interesting. I'd say this has taken a few years to form, at about 12 batches per year. I don't know what else it could be? BTW I am also in Maine (portland area). So I am on Sebago Lake water which is pretty much nothing in it other than what I put for salts. At least as far as I know. Maybe I should get the water out of my tap tested.

I'd actually say your description of tan colored wafers seems about right, at least when it flakes off. It's probably just hard to tell from my crappy pictures. Maybe it just sticks to aluminum more. Do you use a stainless kettle?

I also use an aluminum BK. I'm on well water in the Ellsworth area. I did get a Wardlab water analysis a number of years back and have used that to adjust based on BrunWater. From what I've heard, Sebago water is pretty good and of course all the pros down there seem happy with it. Assuming you're on municipal water, you should be able to get a copy of their analysis.
My BK does have the same brownish stain in your pictures which I assume is passivation. It does not accumulate anything. My post-boil procedure is to hose it out and clean with a soft cloth. Rarely I soak in some oxyclean or PBW. After the hosing I usually throw in a gallon or 2 of used starsan that I would just normally toss. Swirl that and toss. So, perhaps the starsan rinse is dissolving anything? I really don't know.

My guess is that is not beer stone, but wort scorching or caramelizing on the bottom of the kettle, as the pattern depicts the heat of your burner, and there is no accumulation on the sides of the kettle.

Just a guess, I would have scrubbed that filthy thing a while ago.

I found a Brillo pad works well for rejuvenating dirty pots like that, a bit better than bkf.

Some say never use steel wool as it may impregnate some ferrous metal into the aluminum....ive never had an issue...I think the steel wool is such soft steel it doesn’t happen.

Quicker better and easier than bkf ime.

Last edited:
Back