BeerSmith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JL72189

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I am a rookie brewer "started in Jan" i have done 6 extract beers. I have been given a mash tun cooler for the full mash and i am thinking about trying a full mash. I have just starter to use Beer smith and I have NO idea what to chosse for a Mash Profile. Can anyone help me figure out what is the diffrence between

Decoction Mash, Double, Single Infusion, Full Body, Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Full Body,

There are 23 diffreetn option with 1, 2, and 3 steps

How do you know what to use as your Mash profile to use?

BeerSmith can be a bit intimidating for sure.

For sake of simplicity and for good results I use "Single Infusion, Medium Body Batch Sparge."

The important thing is "Single Infustion.....and batch sparge"
essentially this means your going to add x amount of grain at y tempearture in your mash tun...let it "mash" for an hour ish....then drain the mash tun (your "first runnings")..then refill the mash tun with your sparge water...stir the heck out of it..let it sit for a few then drain this out.

I've used the temp guides in BS and have found that they are very close to real results. I have been using Deathbrewers' stove top mash method and the last two brews have come out great. Don't sweat the exactness of the temps your beer will come out fine. You'll be able to fine tune your temps with experience.

So if you are using Deathbrewer's stove top mash method, you should use Single Infusion, Medium Body Batch Sparge? I just started using BeerSmith as well after having problems with my recipes using BeerRecipator

Back