BeerSmith Water Profile Calculator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HokieHomeBrew

Reaction score
In Beersmith2 it has an option for 'Batch size'. When I am calculating what additions of salts I need to use to get a certain water profile, am I supposed to enter the final batch size (i.e. 5.50 gallons), or the preboil volume (i.e. 7 gallons for a 5.5 gal batch) OR the total amount of water used (i.e. like 8.5-9 gallons for a 5 gal batch). Which volume am I supposed to use in order to get the proper water profile for a certain style ? Also, do I add the salts all into the mash, or split in half and add half in mash, half in BK? Etc.

I use half of my water additions to the strike water and half to the sparge water. In essence one should consider the whole volume of water and have a consistent profile at all stages. At least, that is the reasoning I have used. I am sure there will be other opinions though. I am not specifically familiar with the program.

I use half of my water additions to the strike water and half to the sparge water. In essence one should consider the whole volume of water and have a consistent profile at all stages. At least, that is the reasoning I have used. I am sure there will be other opinions though. I am not specifically familiar with the program.

Based on an article he wrote...he indicates pH is more critical in the mashing stage than sparging...so I guess additions should go into the mash water...

However...I am getting ready to use a single tier system and I'll be able to heat enough water at once for both mashing and sparging so I plan on one addition of additives....

But this does bring up another question...

Since a pH of 5.2 is the target for a mash...and i know what additives in need (I had my water tested)...but since I want to brew a Bock, I want to use a Munich water profile. BS2 helps out with that and calcs the additions for me...but could that throw off my pH?

Back