Beersmith - Purpose of "Version"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgortel

Reaction score
I've been using Beersmith for years....and never used therecipe "Version" Function in a recipe....the one where you can make a recipe Version 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc.

i figured it would allow me to have a base recipe with version 1.1....save it....then make it version 1.2 and save it and then i could open the one file for that recipe and change between the 2 versions just by switching the utton....but that doesnt seem to be how it works.

Can someone tell me the purpose of that?

I assumed the same initially, but it's just an attribute that you can apply to recipes that you have manually copied. You can add this attribute as a column when viewing your recipe list.

For example:

1. Create new recipe. Tag that recipe as version 1
2. Create a copy. Tag the copy as version 2 or version 1.1
3. Create a copy. Tag the copy as version 3 or 1.2
4. ...

In end result is the same, but without the app creating the copy automatically when you save.

Beersmith does not require unique recipe names, so you can reuse the same name in multiple recipes if you wish to distinguish each one by using the Version attribute.

When you change the version number and close the recipe, the prompt will ask if you wish to save it under a new name. Clicking Yes will show the same recipe name with the version number tacked onto the end. Or, you can just rename the recipe.

This feature is a little kludgey and almost vestigial. Nesting the recipes would be great, but it might make logging brewing sessions a little confusing if you get off by one version.

Back