Beersmith mobile for android

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryC

Reaction score
I am on my tablet and for whatever reason, I can't enter any letters into the search box - keyboard just disappears after a second... Anyway, I'm wondering ii anyone has the new android version of Beersmith. I've read about it on the BS website and on the Google apstore but it's not clear to me how much functionality the android version has. My laptop is dyeing so I'd like to just use my tablet if it will work the same.

Anybody have it? like it?

I have it. I thought I would use BeerSmith on Android while I am brewing to take notes. That didn't work for me... it's easier just to take notes on paper and transcribe later.

What I didn't expect is how much I would use it to formulate recipes on the go, in bed, the bathroom....

I have loaded the app on 3 devices (you only have to pay for the app once).

Here is one more option... I took a old laptop and loaded Ubuntu as the OS. Then I installed the Lunix/Ubuntu version BeerSmith. It works great... even on a junky old laptop. And I was able to use my existing paid key to authorize the full version.

I have BeerSmith on my MacBook and my Galaxy Note 3 and I usually opt for the mobile version even if my laptop is near by. It's a well made app and does what I need it to. YMMV.

I can't say from experience but I picked up iBrewmaster asap when it came to Android and I liked it. Over at Amazon (we have a bunch of Kindle Fires) I was looking at them yesterday and the full Beersmith is rated over 4 stars, iBrewmaster is only ~2. Even with the skew I would think it's pretty solid.

I wish they'd implement a short trial to try it out. The "Lite" version is ~$4ish and the full ~$8 but honestly I'd probably just pull the trigger on it if I gave it a shot. Right now I'm actually using a remote desktop app on the larger Kindle and controlling Beersmith2 from it. It works but probably more trouble than is necessary.

I really like it a lot, and I am also surprised how often I find myself randomly formulating a recipe. It is awesome.

So if you are/were a PC based BS user, what functionality do you miss when working on the android version?

I use a bluetooth pad keyboard in our cover when using remote desktop software and Windows Beersmith2. Not sure if it would work in the mobile or not but it seems to work in most other sw I've used it in.

I definitely miss my keyboard but I was thinking more of what BS PC version functionality is missing from the android version. Could you still pull up a .bsm file and use one of your existing recipes? Can you build one from scratch and see IBU's, color and estimated ABV change when you modify the recipe? that is the sort of stuff I was wondering about...

I definitely miss my keyboard but I was thinking more of what BS PC version functionality is missing from the android version. Could you still pull up a .bsm file and use one of your existing recipes? Can you build one from scratch and see IBU's, color and estimated ABV change when you modify the recipe? that is the sort of stuff I was wondering about...

Yes. You can create a recipe from scratch.

The easiest way to work with your existing files is to share them to the cloud folder from a PC and then save subsequent versions via the mobile app. I am not aware of a way to open the .bsm file in BeerSmith mobile.

Back