Beersmith Late Exctract Boil Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murphys_Law

Reaction score
OK, I am confused (so it's probably something simple I am missing!).

I am adding some honey and want to add at flame out. In the specific ingredient there is a box for "Late Extract Boil time" which allows you to enter the time in mins. When you hover over the field it says, "time to boil a late extract addition (zero for a full boil)". Having zero for a full boil seems odd, but then conversely 60 mins should be the opposite, no??

• If you enter zero it will add the honey for the full 60 mins in the Timer.
  • If you enter 60 it will add the honey for the full 60 mins in the Timer.
  • If you check the box "Add After Boil" it will not list the ingredient in the timer section, which is really what I want (i.e. similar to flame out hops) so I don't get busy and forget.

My only fix is to add a 1 min boil time and it then shows up to add 59 mins into the boil. This is easy enough but it's counter intuitive to enter both zero mins and 60 mins and have the timer recognize them both as 60 min boil. Why doesn't "zero mins" treat it as a flame out addition and add it at the end of the boil in the Timer?

That seems like a good question for Brad. I hear he is quite responsive. I would email him.

If you add it at boil for 1 minute the alarm will go off and give you the one minute to get ready to turn off the heat and add the extract.

Back