Beersmith: How to add Munton's hopped extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Culln5

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I'm new to the homebrew scene and even newer to the Beersmith software. Where do I find the information necessary to add the Munton's hopped extracts to Beersmith2?

Specifically (this one for now), Munton's Canadian Ale.

Thanks!
George

Hey Guys,
I'm new to the homebrew scene and even newer to the Beersmith software. Where do I find the information necessary to add the Munton's hopped extracts to Beersmith2?

Specifically (this one for now), Munton's Canadian Ale.

Thanks!
George

If you know what's in it, you can add the components separately. Malt (LME), crystal, hops, and other adjuncts.

But why would you?

You're better off assembling your own ingredients as it will give you more control. Plenty of well crafted extract recipes around. And none use hopped extract.

depending on the color of the LME, you would create a new entry in GRAINS by copy & pasting the appropriate color LME

then open the new one and rename it to add HOPPED, then down on the right, above the NOTES box is a box labelled HOPPED EXTRACT IBU-gal/lb

no idea what to put in there, guess it depends on what the can says. Munton's website is less than worthless for that info

If you know what's in it, you can add the components separately. Malt (LME), crystal, hops, and other adjuncts.

But why would you?

You're better off assembling your own ingredients as it will give you more control. Plenty of well crafted extract recipes around. And none use hopped extract.

It was part of a "birthday basket" that was given to me (along with the Beersmith), so I figured I would use it. I was thinking I would steep some caramel flavored grains in it, add a light DME, and maybe additional hops?

It was part of a "birthday basket" that was given to me (along with the Beersmith), so I figured I would use it. I was thinking I would steep some caramel flavored grains in it, add a light DME, and maybe additional hops?

A hopped extract is made by the maltster and is a boiled wort with bittering hops added and perhaps some flavor and aroma hops. That wort is then condensed into a thick syrup, giving you your hopped LME.

The instructions may say not to boil the hopped extract, but just add it to your boiling or hot water. That is, so you don't change the flavor and bittering profile. After chilling that should give you a pitchable ready wort, quickly and easily, providing bittering, flavor, and some aroma from the hops. You reconstituted what the maltster condensed, similar to a can of soup.

Since we don't know what specialty malts and hops were used you can do some research on the net or try an educated guess.

Now this canned extract can be used as a base to expand on, like you said, by adding more hops and some steeped crystal malt.

You could try to dissolve a little bit of the syrup to a gravity of 1.030-1.040 and taste it, and see where it stands. It will be sweet, but give you some idea of what it contains. An opened can should be re-sealed as tight as possible and stored in the fridge, but not for too long. It will become stale or spoil.

Will be an interesting adventure. Keep us posted which way you're taking it.

I think I've decided....

- 3.3lb Can of Munton's Hopped Canadian Ale
- 3lbs of Light DME
- 1lb of Crystal 60
- 1/2lb of Special B
- Undecided if more hops are needed (I'm not a hop head)

Sound OK?

George

Hey Guys,
I am fairly new to the brewing game and would like to know the pros & cons to doing a full volume (5 gallon) steep versus something smaller? I have been steeping in 2 gallons and boiling 6-7 gallons (still working on getting that number right).

George

Hey Guys,
I am fairly new to the brewing game and would like to know the pros & cons to doing a full volume (5 gallon) steep versus something smaller? I have been steeping in 2 gallons and boiling 6-7 gallons (still working on getting that number right).

George

The volume for steeping doesn't matter. If you're boiling the full amount, the only advantage I can see to a partial-volume steep is you might save a little time by heating up the other half of your water while you're steeping. Mashing, on the other hand, is another story. Although some do mash in the full volume (BIAB), most mash with a specific ratio of water-to-grain, usually 1 to 1½ quarts of water per pound of grain. It can be good practice for you to steep at a low ratio and learn to maintain a constant temperature while you're steeping in preparation for when (if) you eventually go to all grain.

The volume for steeping doesn't matter. If you're boiling the full amount, the only advantage I can see to a partial-volume steep is you might save a little time by heating up the other half of your water while you're steeping. Mashing, on the other hand, is another story. Although some do mash in the full volume (BIAB), most mash with a specific ratio of water-to-grain, usually 1 to 1½ quarts of water per pound of grain. It can be good practice for you to steep at a low ratio and learn to maintain a constant temperature while you're steeping in preparation for when (if) you eventually go to all grain.

Awesome! Sounds like I can continue to use a smaller steeping pot and heat my boil pot during the steep.

Thanks!
George

Steeping volume makes no difference unless it is crazy small. Mashing volume does.

OK, then no worries about using a smaller steeping pot and heating a separate boil pot.

Thanks!
George

Back