BeerSmith BIAB w/ "sparge" question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cegan09

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I finally figured out why I keep missing targets, and I feel stupid for not realizing it before. Trying to figure out how I should adjust my methods to make beer smith work with my process.

I use BIAB, but because I have a smaller than necessary kettle (8.5gallon) I usually can't do full volume mashes. Typically I'll hold back 1-2.5 gallons depending on what I"m trying to make and use that to "sparge". In this case sparge is defined as placing the squeezed grain bag into a double bucket setup and pouring the extra water over in an effort to wash out more sugars.

In beer smith, under the "vols" tab, I've been changing the kettle top off box to this volume with the assumption that it would change calculations elsewhere, but that doesn't seem to be the case. My mash profile is a full vol BIAB. When I change that kettle top off the expected post mash and pre-boil OG don't change, and they should in my mind. I assumed the post mash would show higher than the pre-boil when I change kettle top off since I'd be diluting it (and since mash would use a lower volume of water).

With this setup, I usually nail the post mash gravity. But obviously once I add the "sparge" addition the gravity drops, so I'm usually low. My volumes are all more or less where they should be. It appears that beersmith is just ignoring the volume change since I have full vol BIAB selected.

Anyone know a good way to set this up properly in beer smith? Or am I just missing something else?

Yes. Ignore the fact that you are doing a BIAB mash and use a single infusion with batch sparge mash profile. You need to adjust the grain absorption factor in the global settings to account for the lower water retention you will get. Even though you are using a bag, you are doing the same function as a mash tun, the bag just becomes the separating device instead of a false bottom or mesh tube. The only thing that making a mash profile with BIAB does in BeerSmith is it tells the program to add all the available water into the infusion instead of having the user adjust it all the time for various grain bills.

Thanks. I was fine when I started with BIAB because I was doing ~3.5 gallon batches to suit the smaller kettle, but with kegs I said screw it and went to 5. Always assumed the program would monitor that other kettle top off and adjust.

I'll play with a new profile and try to dial it in.

Made a new profile last night. Just need to figure out how to force it to increase the initial mash volume. Right now on a beer i'd probably hold back 1.5 gallons it's saying hold back 2.54. I'm guessing it's in the mash thickness section that I need to adjust.

So if you are going to do a batch sparge, I would recommend trying to divide your water to get the same amount of wort from the mash as you do from the sparge steps in order to maximize your extraction of sugars (maximize efficiency). You don't need to be exact in order to get the best efficiency, just close.

To do this, figure out about what amount of grain would be in your average recipe and the total amount of wort needed for your boil. Divide this number by 2 and add the amount of water which is retained in the grains. Use this volume as your initial infusion volume in your mash profile -- BeerSmith will calculate the water to grain ratio once you enter the volume you want to infuse. Save this profile.

While this will not be exact for each recipe, it should be close enough to equal runnings from both mash and sparge steps to get you pretty consistent mash efficiency across a wide range of recipes.

The trouble is I'm not doing a real sparge. Given the ability I'd just be doing full volume BIAB, no sparge, no top off. But the kettle just isn't large enough (still kicking myself for buying the 8.5 gallon)

So I've been essentially rinsing the grains with the extra water I need. I'm not setup to do a real batch sparge. So i'm just trying to figure out how to get the profile setup to use ~6 gallons initially (seems I start with 6-6.5 most brews), and then use the last 1-2 gallons as that rinse.

The trouble is I'm not doing a real sparge. Given the ability I'd just be doing full volume BIAB, no sparge, no top off. But the kettle just isn't large enough (still kicking myself for buying the 8.5 gallon)

So I've been essentially rinsing the grains with the extra water I need. I'm not setup to do a real batch sparge. So i'm just trying to figure out how to get the profile setup to use ~6 gallons initially (seems I start with 6-6.5 most brews), and then use the last 1-2 gallons as that rinse.

You can it 2 ways:
1) set your mashtun volume as full volume or all your water. Beersmith will not know you are short on space and your "sparge" will be included in full volume mash. May be a bit off but it is only beer.

2) set tun volume as actual. Enter your sparge volume as mash tun addition. Not kettle top off.

Back