Beersmith batch size values

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

overseasbrewer

Reaction score
I just put in my first recipe into Beersmith and I am not sure I understand the below values.

What is the difference between batch size and the end of boil volume?

Attachments

• 0.JPG
    0.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Batch size (as defined in the software) is the volume of wort which ends up in the fermenter. End of boil volume is what is expected to be in the kettle when the heat is turned off, which includes losses in trub left in the kettle, chiller, pumps and piping, sampling, etc.

I was under the impression that the batch size is the packing volume after leaving behind trub in the fermenter as it compensates for fermenter loss.

Batch size is what goes into the fermentor.

Every fermentor has trub loss, so if you know or estimate 2 or 3 quarts of yeasty trub stays behind when packaging, add that to your batch size.

I was under the impression that the batch size is the packing volume after leaving behind trub in the fermenter as it compensates for fermenter loss.

Not the way BeerSmith defines it. If you look at the 'volumes' tab, you will see the batch size corresponding to the volume into the fermenter and the packaging volume as being the batch size less the fermenter trub.

Latest posts

Back