Beers similar to DFH 90min IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New Brew

Reaction score
I've always preferred malty beers to hop-forward or high IBU beers. I've disliked (and even hated) most IPAs I've tried, to the point that I've just stopped even trying them for a few years now.

And then, a friend (not familiar with my preferences) brought over a 4-pack of DFH 90 min.

And it was good. Really good. The hops are there, and I can taste them, but it's not like drinking pine-tree tea or anything like how other IPAs have turned me off.

There's also a huge amount of malty-ness in there, which is probably helping.

So my questions are: what are some other commercial beers I should try if I like 90 min (but not most "traditional IPAs I've tasted)? And what can I do in homebrewing to make similar flavor profiles (I've found 90 min clone recipes, but I'd like some guidelines/explanation rather than simply cloning)?

I totally agree with you. I don't like most IPAs but I love Dogfish Head 90 (and 60 and 120 too).

Unfortunately, I don't know many other beers like it. I plan on cloning it sometime in the next few weeks. I'm not sure what is specific to dogfish head 90 that makes it different from other IPAs. I know it is continually hopped, but I have a feeling that is just marketing and I wonder if it has all that much effect on the flavor.

Have you tried Bell's "Two Hearted Ale?" It's not a resin fest, which is what you seem to dislike. Most English style pale ales should be worth trying, as well.

Thanks, I'll have to check out Hopslam, the Bell's and some of the ones recommended in the other thread.

Guess I'm back into (tentatively) tasting IPAs, now that I know there are some examples I find enjoyable.

Try Great Divide's Titan Ipa. It has a lot of hop flavor/bitterness, but it also has a great malty backbone.

I found Victory's HopDevil to be similar to 90, which was surprising given the name, but it is fairly malty for an IPA, with pretty mellow hops.

Founder's Devil Dancer reminds me most of 90 min very similar malty sweetness tied to the right amount of hoppy bitterness.

anything wet hopped should work too, like sierra nevada's southern/northern hemisphere or founders harvest. they tend to be much more mild on bitterness but full of fresh hoppy goodness

Sounds to me like you would like most Imperial IPA's. They are generally going to be much more malty than a typical IPA due to the need for additional malt to achieve the necessary gravity.

I prefer double or imperial IPA's because they seem to be much more balanced, but you can still squeeze the hops in. Try Stone Ruination, or better yet, brew Yooper's Stone Ruination clone. You will not be disappointed.

Back