Beers similar to Chezchvar Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutilated1

Beer Drenched Executioner
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I was looking for Pilsener Urquell and they were out at the grocery so I tried Chezchvar Lager. As it turns out I really like this beer a lot.

I was wondering if you know of any other beers similar in style to these two beers that you think I might enjoy, and also if you can recommend a homebrew recipe thats similar to Chezchvar Lager I would really appreciate it.

Bavik, budvar, Zweivich, that's all I have got off hand. I would highly recommend Bavik.

BYO had an issue on Bohemian Pils last month. I would check that out for a recipe.

Also, the Victory Brewing Prima Pils is a surprisingly accurate representation of the style by and American Micro

Its funny you mention Czechvar, as I'm drinking some right now. I would say the most comparable beers are Budvar and Pilsner Urquell, as you mentioned. Mine tastes even better because the whole case was free...:ban:

edit - the best American comparison would be the Lagunitas Pils

Czechvar = Budvar

It is sold as Budvar in Europe, but thanks to Budwpisser, it has to be sold as Czechvar in the states.

As far as recipe goes, here is mine. I did a side by side taste test between mine and the original and it was darn close. Biggest difference was mine finished a tad sweeter and didn't have any skunk to it. Mine was maybe .5 SRM darker too.

Oh and make sure you use soft water. I think I used 75% R/O water and 25% filtered tap with some CaCL added to up the calcium amount for the yeast. I would also suggest making a really big starter.

Budvar

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 9.93
Anticipated OG: 1.056 Plato: 13.77
Anticipated SRM: 3.4
Anticipated IBU: 34.3
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 7.10 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.043 SG 10.78 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
94.1 9.35 lbs. Pilsen (2 Row) France 1.039 2
5.9 0.58 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.51 oz. Saazer Whole 3.30 19.7 60 min.
1.83 oz. Saazer Whole 3.30 12.2 30 min.
0.92 oz. Saazer Whole 3.30 2.4 10 min.
0.92 oz. Saazer Whole 3.30 0.0 0 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.00 Oz Whirfloc Fining 20 Min.(boil)

Yeast