Beers not Carbonating...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewinkle

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm new here, been lurking and reading a lot and now i need some input. In late October I started working for my LHBS, it was also when I started brewing. Since then ive brewed a: Belgian Tripel, Imperial Porter, Blonde Ale, Columbus IPA, Pale 31 clone, California Common, Irish Red Ale, and a rogue I²PA clone. Funny enough i have yet to taste any, ive just been mad with brewing. The brews and fermentations have all been great, bottling went good, but now 2 weeks later, my Belgian Tripel and Imperial Porter are not carbing at all. I wasn't super concerned until i popped open a bottle of the blonde ale and it showed that it was carbed perfectly yet it was bottled at least 4 days later than the other 2. I used copper tun carbonation drops (which I will never use again for various reasons) but the blonde ale used those as well and it's great... Any thoughts from some of you advanced guys?

Have you tried using sugar? I haven't bottled in awhile and never tried the tablets but boiling x amount of sugar and letting it cool and them adding to bottling bucket and mixing always worked for me. Hope you get it figured out.

Give your uncarbonated beers another two weeks at 70° to 72°. Chill for a few days then pop another one.
Some beers will take longer to carbonate depending upon yeast and alcohol content.

They're currently in my room with temps at 70-72 F. Same room as my fermenters that are doing great. I tried using corn sugar and water on my pale 31, ill pop one open next week to see how it is. If these end up not carbing oh well i guess. Im drinking my blonde ale now and its goooood. Tons on the way too. I definitely recommend NOT using copper tun carbonation drops

As others have said, higher abv beers will take more time to carbonate. Put them in dark place that maintains room temp throughout the day and forget about them for a couple of weeks.

They're currently in my room with temps at 70-72 F. Same room as my fermenters that are doing great. I tried using corn sugar and water on my pale 31, ill pop one open next week to see how it is. If these end up not carbing oh well i guess. Im drinking my blonde ale now and its goooood. Tons on the way too. I definitely recommend NOT using copper tun carbonation drops

I've always used corn sugar and one of the on-line carbonation calculators. Always had good results.

Aren't those both big beers abv wise. Are these kit beers? It may be a yeast issue. What kind of yeast did you use?

Used WLP Belgian Abbey Ale Yeast and wy1056 sorry only remember that for now. 2 packages on each. They were more beer recipes.

Used WLP Belgian Abbey Ale Yeast and wy1056 sorry only remember that for now. 2 packages on each. They were more beer recipes.
Both tolerate a high abv, which I imagine these beers are. I think you just aren't used to the high abv beers yet. They do take a while to carbonate. Just keep them at room temp and they should be fine. If you don't like the wait you could make a yeast starter on your next big brew and dump it into the fermentor at bottling time to see if it helps.

Back