beermachine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian110872

Reaction score
Has anyone used the beermachine from beermachine.com? I was thinking about getting one but, I wanted to get some feedback first.

I am sure someone can provide some first hand information but I have only read negative things about it, not one positive thing. You can buy brewing kits for less than 100 through many retailors and it's very simple. I would suggest that route.

TxBrew said:
I am sure someone can provide some first hand information but I have only read negative things about it, not one positive thing. You can buy brewing kits for less than 100 through many retailors and it's very simple. I would suggest that route.

Thank You.

If you've got your heart set on a 2.5-gallon kit, Mr. Beer is much better than the Beer Machine. Reason No. 1 is that Mr. Beer kits come with one step sanitizer, the same stuff "real" homebrewers often use, and they instruct you on how to use it. Beer Machine does not call for sanitizing, nor do they provide anything to clean the unit with. Secondly, Mr. Beer calls for you to boil your water before stirring in their mix, which is good; that also makes sure there is no bacteria in the water. The Beer Machine is designed for the user to mix all the ingredients at room temperature in the fermenter. Beer Machine is an infection waiting to happen.

I echo the same sentiments as the Mr Beer user. Another thing that always put me off from the Beer Machine is that, to my knowledge, it never has you remove the beer from the bed of yeast. That is ok for a few days, but it will start to affect flavor after a while. I use the Mr. Beer exclusively for my brewing. I have tried the standard kits sold at most beer shops, but it was way too involved for what beer making is for me, a hobby. I have had great success with Mr. Beer following their all-malt recipes on their website, and the company provides great customer support. Mr. Beer is a great starting point, and for the casual brewer, a great system to continue using. It also doesn't fill up your house with equipment and 40 bottles of beer at a time!

Im new here, this is my first post. I got a MR beer about a year ago (long story) and just brewed for the first time today with it, I come from a food production background for work and know the proper sanitization processes and many other food related procedures... Made "Benifiber" for 3 years the only production faciity in the US, and the only other facility in the world was Japan.. so i know my food production stuff.. The Mr beer kit does make this process blindly imporant.. as it should be..

Any way I would recomend MR beer..for a small scale kit, I dont have any results from this system yet but seemed to be a well put together kit.. But If I were buying a brew kit now I would get one of the 5 gallon kits they are many more options fro mixes and recipies for a five gallon kit.. Im ready to buy one right now but have to justify it with the wife throught the testing on the MR beer kit.

One think i like about MR beer is its very simple and easy to brew with and they have a wide varity of mixes including ciders (the reason I got MR Beer in the first place)

Jason

Hi, I just looked at mr beer and beermachine.com.

I suppose the atractive thing is it's all packaged and gimmicky and sounds ad feels easy. Thing is you can buy a 5 gallon fermenter and pressure barrel and 40 pint kit for about the same price!

As someone who is only a kit brewer at this stage, I' don't see any difference between adding 2.5 gallons or 5 gallons of water. so why not make twice asmuch beer for the same effort :) :p

If the beer machine came in a 5 gallon version I might think about it, it does look pretty cool.

Frankly though, the mr beer thing seems expensive. My Beer Sphere was only £34.99 ish and it's bigger, has a float, top tap holds 6 gallons.

The coolest thing I ever had which was similar ( and i don't know if you still get them) was a "Brew Bag" from Boots and Christmas gift catalogues. It was a plastic bag with a tap, surrounded by ultra tough plastic sacking, with a handle and came with malt/hop extract inside it. You poured in 20 pints of water and bingo, two weeks later beer! I still have a couple of the bags and have been reusing them quite successfully once the initial fermentation is done in a bin with normal kits. Good for taking to parties!

Before you go that route, check out the 'beginner kits' that your local homebrew store has. They are more upgradable (I brew all grain, and still use most of the tools from my first 'beginner kit'), offer better control (beer mix, and 'booster pacs' are easy, but you don't get to decide much about your own beer), and offer more variety in batch size (a 5 gallon kit means any size up to 5 gallons), and from what I've seen... cheaper (my first starter kit was about $60, and came with everything I needed for a first batch, and "The New Joy of Homebrewing" by Charlie Papazian - to many homebrewers, this is the bible).

Back