Beer yeast and septic systems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xpoc454

Reaction score
I usually dump my excess yeast down the sink after primary fermentation and have a septic tank.

Since , baker's yeast has always been claimed by "do-it-yourself" books as a great and cheaper substitute for septic system treatments like RID-X( i think thats the name).

If thats true, wouldnt dumping down a large volume of active yeast from the bottom of your primary, be even better for a septic system?

It might be another good selling point or brewing your own beer. :)

It certainly can't hurt. Rid-X etc is merely enzymes which pretty much is what yeast is, anything biodegradable down there is going to feed the yeast

You probably have a very healthy septic tank :D

xpoc454 said:
I usually dump my excess yeast down the sink after primary fermentation and have a septic tank.

Since , baker's yeast has always been claimed by "do-it-yourself" books as a great and cheaper substitute for septic system treatments like RID-X( i think thats the name).

If thats true, wouldnt dumping down a large volume of active yeast from the bottom of your primary, be even better for a septic system?

The bleach or sanitizer would do more harm than the yeast. The old yeast is also great for the flower garden or compost pile too.

Back