Beer Wars movie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew_4iT

Reaction score
This movie is very informative, and although is depressing in many ways also has some parts about it that revitalizes the micro-brewer and home-brewer spirits. If you hate BMC beers this movie will put the nail in the coffin for ya... I had no idea how complex and how severe the monopolies are in the industry.

If you haven't seen this movie you have to go check it out, I believe it is still instant on Netflix for users.

**Spoiler**
I find the test they do for bmc drinkers hilarious, when they cover the beers with brown bags and ask which beer is theirs after they take a sip. So many disappointed faces by dedicated bmc fans to find out to their chagrin they can't identify it out of 3 choices.

Another "Beer Wars" thread???

That movie had so much potential but was disappointing.

Jaded enough in life?

No Just that it's pretty much been done to death on here..this is just a handful of the discussions. The first one is really interesting, and in depth.

Beer Wars: The Movie

Has anyone seen the movie Beer Wars?

Movie: Beer Wars.

New Movie: Beer Wars.

It's propaganda, which means it's skewed, biased and has an agenda.....which means very little actual facts....You'll find that not everyone who has seen it buys into it's viewpoint. And not every homebrewer/beer snob on here hates BMC, or sees them as the enemy or evil empire.....

well all documentaries will be biased even statistical data can be transmitted and interpretted in many ways, unless it was done as a naturalistic observation than nothing can be askewed. Atleast people have the gull to put themselves out their and risk even further lawsuits from opposing forces. Better than to sit around on their duffs and go, "no bro that's not right, blah blah blah".

I'm not saying I religiously follow this movie or wept over that lady who used to work with Jim Koch pushing her moonshot brew. But I mean, how can you hate on the notion of the bases of this movie unless your full of yourself?

I have never seen the " documentary" and probably never will because of all the hatred spew from people that " preach " about in on this forum and others just my .02. I like bmc and don't need " them " telling me its sinful I get really sick of these post telling me that I'm a ****ty brewer because I still drink stones. This movie sounds so bias its not even funny. But that's just my humble opinion

I have never seen the " documentary" and probably never will because of all the hatred spew from people that " preach " about in on this forum and others just my .02. I like bmc and don't need " them " telling me its sinful I get really sick of these post telling me that I'm a ****ty brewer because I still drink stones. This movie sounds so bias its not even funny. But that's just my humble opinion

+1

Joey, you might find my 2 posts in this thread interesting.

I'm not dictating that, or passing judgment on fellow beer drinkers. But just to bring to light how the juggernauts of the beer industry dictate and manipulate the walls of beer you see in grocery stores and can simply put out a beer "budweiser select" just to take up space to make other microbreweries find a job elsewhere so one kind of beer is singularly the ideal to represent a nation...

Is completely against what is American at heart. Teddy Roosevelt made it his mission to get rid of monopolies so that 1 percent of Americans wont capitalize of the remaining populace. However that's what we are seeing today and that is the principle of the reason behind why I hate bmc, not the beer but the representation.

I find almost all documentaries are made from the point of view of the one producing it, but if you watch this one with that in mind and try to remain unbiased, it does give some good info from the craft brew side of the story. It kept me entertained for an hour or so.

I've seen it a couple times, its pretty informative, sure there is a lot left on the table that could have been done. It was still a good watch. Really outed the big breweries for the scumbags they are.

+1

Joey, you might find my 2 posts in this thread interesting.

That is a good thread, I know that behind the ideal of the beer made sense for its TIME for various reasons. But for a linear prospect of a nation built upon choices and "mom and pop" ideals not just in this context but even politically these choices are slashed more and more so that a "select" few hoard the majority of the entire wealth of the nation. That is how far I'll go politically :D

There is no doubt in my mind that Coor's Miller and Budweiser hold meetings to dictate the future of the beer industry much like the bilderberg meetings are held. hopefully they don't snipers to take you out if you get within a 100 feet.

Only thing I'll mention about that movie is that I hated the focus on MoonShot beer. It gets brought up time and time again as an example of a beer being held down by "the man". MoonShot just struck me as a ****ty gimmick. Congratulations.. you added caffeine to your beer... who gives a crap. From all the reviews I've read it's a pretty bad beer to begin with. Maybe that's why she had trouble taking the product big. /rant

Rather than worry about what the man wants me to drink, ill just make my own since I don't think ill find a Coors brett farmhouse ale showing up in my local grocery store cooler anytime soon ..

Only thing I'll mention about that movie is that I hated the focus on MoonShot beer. It gets brought up time and time again as an example of a beer being held down by "the man". MoonShot just struck me as a ****ty gimmick. Congratulations.. you added caffeine to your beer... who gives a crap. From all the reviews I've read it's a pretty bad beer to begin with. Maybe that's why she had trouble taking the product big. /rant

I thought the same thing. I wouldn't have put my money into that crap either...:drunk:

Not to bump another one of these, but does anyone have a link to the Todd Alstrom clip ripping moonshot? Or of the discussion from the live feed?

Sorry if it's already mentioned in another thread... I also googled but only get a "yeah, bra, Todd totally ripped Rhonda..." type hits.

I read recently that with the governments crack down on alcoholic drinks infused with caffeine has put the women who owns Moonshot out of business. It's not something I would have drank, but still sad she didn't make it.

i guess i don't get it.
the post that talks about how american soldiers go over seas and aquire tastes for all this new food and come home to blad crap.

dosn't that show that even though the american public might have been wanting and buying bland beer, it may have been because they were never shown an alternative?
and once someone went and tasted these new things that, they discovered it was really good.

to me, it seems that being a homebrewer and in favor of BMC is like being a log cabin republican.

because I just watched this again I am going to dig up the old "beer wars" thread instead of starting a new one.....

I think the biggest thing I took from this, and the thing I dislike, is how the 3 tier system is run. I could care less what BMC brews and sells, I am not a fan of light lagers, doesnt matter who makes them, not a big fan of that style. I agree with the posts about history and that BMC is just following trends which is smart marketing, cant argue with that! I think the monopoly over distribution is the real issue, the fact that BMC decides what comes on the truck sucks for us who like good beer, or the brewers of it. I worked at a convenient store for 5 years in high school and college, everything showed up on a bud or miller truck, we had one or two shelves of mico's and 3 or 4 doors of BMC. we pretty much let the delivery guy decide what went on the shelf as he was usually the sales guy as well and rarely was anything but BMC there. now that may also have something to do with the fact that BMC sells at 75%+ of the market so why wouldnt they have 75% of the shelf space, but I dont think breweries should have any control in distribution if the 3 tier system is to utilized...

I think the biggest thing I took from this, and the thing I dislike, is how the 3 tier system is run.

Thats one of the things I learned and disliked as well. Also, disliked how BMC makes a huge billboard of their brews in the grocery store isle, and little breweries get whats left over. Even though I understand why they do it I still dislike it. I love the underdogs :)

I thought the same right after seeing it but the after talking with local brewers in Texas I found out about the "shiner" law which allows for direct brewery sale to resale if you make under 75000 barrels a year. I believe some other states have the same

I thought the same right after seeing it but the after talking with local brewers in Texas I found out about the "shiner" law which allows for direct brewery sale to resale if you make under 75000 barrels a year. I believe some other states have the same

I know NY does, but only in NY. if you want to sell outside the state you have to go through a distributor...

Back