Beer w/Oregon Fruit Puree

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

veggiess

Reaction score
I am going to make a lager with a can of the oregon fruit puree, which does have some sugar in it (obviously). Should I decrease the amount of dextrose/brewing sugar I add to my brew?
Thanks!:fro:

Only if you want to maintain the same ABV. Otherwise figure about 35% by weight is fermentables.

This is kinda a side step, but when do you add the puree? I've heard that you don't want to boil fruit b/c of the pectin; so the recommendation that I've seen is to cool wort down to 150 deg after boiling and add fruit. Then just keep at 150* for around 15 minutes then cool and pitch yeast. Does it make a difference with the canned fruit (vs. fresh fruit)? Is canned fruit pasteurized?

Marc.

mbreen01 said:
This is kinda a side step, but when do you add the puree? I've heard that you don't want to boil fruit b/c of the pectin; so the recommendation that I've seen is to cool wort down to 150 deg after boiling and add fruit. Then just keep at 150* for around 15 minutes then cool and pitch yeast. Does it make a difference with the canned fruit (vs. fresh fruit)? Is canned fruit pasteurized?

Yes--you can add the Oregon puree after cooling, or people often add it straight from the can into the secondary.

Canned fruits are pasteurized, fresh fruits aren't. I use 160F for 15 minutes with fresh berries.

I've used oregon in the past for a blueberry bock (whoooooa good stuff) and others

the stuff is clean out of the can and will ferment. I added it to the secondary so watch for massive secondary fermentation sometimes.

NOTE: take the label off the can, wash off can, soak can in favorite sanitizer, sanitize can opener, open can and dump - just make sure to use good sanitation when using like this.

no need to boil at all - probably dump into at flame out but you'll loose some flavor.

Thanks for the info-I probably won't change anything because a slightly higher ABV is not a problem. :rockin: The puree comes sterilized and it's seedless, so I think I'll add it to the primary once it's cooled. They also say that the fruit flavor mellows with time, so if it's too strong at first it won't stay that way.

Back