Beer trip to Belgium with a diabetic!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrappistBeerFan

Reaction score
Hi all, I wasn't sure what forum was best suited for this thread so hopefully I've picked the right one.

Basically myself and a friend are driving to Belgium soon to visit a few abbeys and breweries and to pick up a load of beer from one of the warehouses.

The problem is my friend is a diabetic but his favourite ales are the strong dark Trappists (Westy, rochefort etc).

Obviously this style of beer has more sugar than other styles so it's not really all that suitable for him.

Just wondering if you can advise which of these types of beers has the least residual sugars/lowest fg and if there are any alternatives that are similar but more suitable for him.

Unfortunately he hates lambics but he does like Duvel which from my understanding has very little sugar left over.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

It depends what triggers reactions with him. Some people claim the alcohol itself is bad news. Anything that finishes dry and with a low abv would be safest, but nothing in here should in any way be considered a substitute for his doctor's recommendations.

That said, most Belgian ales are well attenuated. Sours more than others, of course, but I'd think it would be best to stick with the lower abv stuff. Table beers, dubbels, saisons, that kind of thing.

Thanks for the suggestions Guldtuborg.

It's high fg ales he's trying to avoid. He has no problem wither the high abv drinks, it's just that they tend to be higher fg.

Are there any quads or stronger ales that have a dryer finish that you know of?

Any advice won't replace doctors orders btw.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

As someone who is married to a type 1 diabetic, I would be less concerned with the residual sugar content in these beers and pay attention instead to the affects of alcohol on his insulin or medication. He'll need to eat and stay hydrated while drinking, and check his blood glucose before drinking. Hopefully he already knows that. Have a good trip!

Back