Beer to celebrate birth of my new baby.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefbake

Reaction score
I'm gonna have a baby in a couple of weeks and like to start a batch of beer that will help celebrate the birth of our first child. Maybe there's a traditional beer that someone has heard of or one that is typically brewed in March. I like to bring more meaning to the beers or foods I make. Thanks for any input.

One of my good friends made a barely wine when his grandson was born.
Plan is, When the boy turns 21 he gets to drink a bottle or two.

Just an idea, Or something to think about.

Buy the most expensive ingredients you can, because this is the last time you'll have a dime to spare for 22 years or so.

I was thinking a big barley wine also..Not sure how well it'd hold up over 21 years, but it's a cool idea.

Oh, and congratulations! You're in for a wild ride, the first few weeks/months were pure craziness and sleep induced haze for me.

bruin_ale said:
Oh, and congratulations! You're in for a wild ride, the first few weeks/months were pure craziness and sleep induced haze for me.

Wow! Thanks for all the kind responses. You guys all rock!

I did a low gravity IPA-type beer for the birth of my most recent child. My wife likes IPAs but after nine dry months she couldn't handle the 6+% ABV of a real IPA. So I tried to capture the essence of IPA but in a 3% beer. It came out just alright to me, but she was happy. Unfortunately I don't have the recipe any more. But basically a standard bitter made with an abundance of American hops.

Congratulations on your first child!

I did a low gravity IPA-type beer for the birth of my most recent child. My wife likes IPAs but after nine dry months she couldn't handle the 6+% ABV of a real IPA. So I tried to capture the essence of IPA but in a 3% beer. It came out just alright to me, but she was happy. Unfortunately I don't have the recipe any more. But basically a standard bitter made with an abundance of American hops.

Congratulations on your first child!

i was thinking something along these lines. make something she's a fan of. after not having drank for 9 months, give her something she'll enjoy!

I hope you are planning on brewing BEFORE the baby is born! Trust me...once the baby comes brewing will be the last thing on your mind. Congrats on being a father-to-be!! It is the greatest, scariest, most fun thing in life!!

Congrats on the baby! I personally would brew a barley wine and crack it open on the kid's first birthday. (Aging for 20 more years is optional!)

mikebowman said:
i was thinking something along these lines. make something she's a fan of. after not having drank for 9 months, give her something she'll enjoy!

That's what I did. I cloned one of my wife's favorite beers, Rouge's Shakespeare Stout. She likes it so much she let me buy some more equipment and allowed me to knock out the wall behind our coat closet and build a beer cave beneath our staircase!
And my six week old daughter is the most amazing thing EVER!

I hope you are planning on brewing BEFORE the baby is born! Trust me...once the baby comes brewing will be the last thing on your mind.

I'm actually expecting another kid in April, and I'm planning to brew once during my two weeks "paternity leave"
:ban:

Congrats! I recently had a baby girl! She is 2 months now! Im tired, but still brewing every 2 weeks and reading HBT during the night when we get up to feed her. It can work!

One of my good friends made a barely wine when his grandson was born.
Plan is, When the boy turns 21 he gets to drink a bottle or two.

Just an idea, Or something to think about.

I am planning on doing the same for my son. I did a batch of barley wine, which was only my 2nd batch shortly after his birth. Managed to make bottle-bombs (none blew up, but they were crazy spouters) due to following the recipe's primary timeline.

I now plan on doing one on his first birthday.

Congrats, and best of luck. Mine both slept through the night from day one, but getting up isn't too big of a deal. You learn its either change-feed-change-comfort - change change change...repeat. you get REAL fast at that so you dont smell it.

I advise - hmmm brew something w/ a quick turnaround that you like, cause you'll probably need it! then brew some more! ha hah

My daughter was born one week ago. The only batch I ever made (back in December) was an amber ale that came with the beer kit. In-laws said they really like it. So, decided to brew the same recipe but this time with some honey. Daughter is named Abigail. From what I read online, Gobnait is the Irish translation and Saint Gobnait is the patron saint of bees and beekeepers. Some method behind the madness.

I did a big barleywine right after my son was born. I had one on his 6 month birthday (had to test it, right?) and one on his first birthday. I will have another one on each of his birthdays, and a few to share when he gets older. I bottled it in 24 oz bombers.

chefbake said:
I'm gonna have a baby in a couple of weeks and like to start a batch of beer that will help celebrate the birth of our first child. Maybe there's a traditional beer that someone has heard of or one that is typically brewed in March. I like to bring more meaning to the beers or foods I make. Thanks for any input.

Maibock is good. But when u brew it call it a marchbock. Congradulations on the little one!

i have a 5 gallon baby everytime i brew. one could say that in essense i DO brew a celebratory beer each time i have a baby.

Nice reading that some papas still find time to brew after the little one arrives. Thinking about doing Moshers baby brew from "Radical Brewing".
You do a full regular mash and then use the wort as the liquid for a second mash round. Basically makes a barley wine. Should age well.

when i found out my wifes due date was in October i brewed an Oktoberfest and made labels when she was born with here birthday and weight and gave them to Friends

Grats! If you need a quick turnaround might look up EdWort's Haus Pale Ale.

I'm taking a slightly different approach for our boy due in May. We chose an Irish name and I'll be brewing an Irish Red Ale probably to be named Connerific. I'd let him try it, but pretty sure SWMBO would slap me in the head.

GL!!!

My SWIMBO is expecting any day now. I brewed up a low gravity lactation beer. I found out that brewers yeast, hops, oats etc are all lactation aids (or galactagauges). As is fenugreek, which Mosher recommends to add maple syrup flavour. So I created the Galactagrog!

It tastes quite good actually, like maple syrup oatmeal cookies, and it came out at about 3.7%. The only problem is it has no head retention at all (I suspect the fenugreek).

My Daughter is 6 weeks old today and I brewed a 12% ABV. Russian Imperial Stout back in August. I am planning on sampling every year on her birthday.

Back