beer taste like metal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monk420

Reaction score
just wondering why my beer has a metalic taste. It's a witbier extract brew. just kegged on friday. 2 wks primary ,2weeks secondary. 3 day to force carb. used san star to setilize

metal tastes are caused by metal in your brew. the most common is either in the water used or the pot. if its not a food grade pot then you can have issues with metal tastes in your brew.

I force carbed a pils-ale in a couple days and it developed a bad metallic taste. I put the keg on the side for a month and now that taste is gone. The only thing I can think of is force carbing can give it a metallic taste. I think some have referred to it as carbonic? I'll just hook it up to pressure and leave it for a week from now on. Seems to be the best for me.

I force carbed a pils-ale in a couple days and it developed a bad metallic taste. I put the keg on the side for a month and now that taste is gone. The only thing I can think of is force carbing can give it a metallic taste. I think some have referred to it as carbonic? I'll just hook it up to pressure and leave it for a week from now on. Seems to be the best for me.

Why not use the 2 week [slower forced] gas carbonation method? Instead of rapid force carbonating the brew...

Rule #2 of Beer Club... "Always have sufficient brew in your pipeline."

Rule #2 of Beer Club... "Always have sufficient brew in your pipeline."
+1 force it and all you have is green beer w/co2. Yummmm.
Originally Posted by TipsyDragon View Post
if its not a food grade pot then you can have issues with metal tastes in your brew.
+1
Originally Posted by plaidpaint View Post
where do you buy non food grade pots from? :d
+ 2 Is that one of them lead pots??? Is my pot safe to put in brownies?:D

eac/ Eac's How many times and ways do I have to say that you are all EAC . BTW I do not support nor condone calling any one a EAC!!!!! But you know deep down inside your are 1!!!!!!!!!!

I have had one batch that I didn't think was as good as it could be. Seemed to have a flavor that might be metallic (It wasn't bad - bad - just not great like the others). I blame this on extra tannins from a too high mash temperature..

Mike

1. Probably green beer
2. High Iron content in brewing water
3. Caused by brew pot.
4. Overcarbed

Take in order of probability.

Did it carb in three days? If so, flip 1 and 4 :) What pressure are you carbing your beers at?

i carbed at 28 psi for 3 days. I'm gonna give it another 2wks and try again. If it still taste bad then i'll switch water next batch. I use tap now, but have a place u can get spring water cheap close to my house. Got pot from hbs i think its a polar wear.

Force Carbing doesn't give metalic taste, it does let you drink your beer a lot faster however. If it is a typical ale and has been sitting in the primary for 3-4 weeks, it's not green, it's fresh. Bottled beer needs to condition, kegged beer needs to be drunk:mug:

Back