Beer SWMBO would like

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Awesome

Reaction score
Hey all,
SWMBO really likes beer, but they all make her feel REALLY full. I'd like to incorporate something into my brewing "regimen" that she can really enjoy, and be able to drink a few without feeling like she just ate several loaves of bread. Beers she likes include Heineken and Corona. I know those are lagers, but I can only make ales. Any suggestions?

Also, what is it that makes beer so darn filling. It's just flavored, carbonated water afterall. Does it have something to do with the OG? Or the difference between the OG and the FG? Or the FG period?

I'd appreciate the advice.

Well, I'll take a stab at why beer makes her feel full. My Dead Guy clone has 301 calories per pint. Corona has 148 per 12 ounces.

I eat approx 1500-1800 calories each day, usually about 500 calories for dinner. Having ONE pint of DG ale is about 60% of my dinner in terms of calories. That makes me feel pretty full! 148 calories is like a glass of apple juice, though.

Remember the old Miller Lite commercial (or was it Bud Light?): "Tastes great- less filling?". It's all about the calories and heaviness of the beer. A watered down version of a beer is like drinking carbonated water.

This is not in any way based on any kind of scientific facts at all. Just my theory on why I'm getting fat.

I believe much of that "filling" sensation is a consequence of dextrines left in the beer after fermentation. These are, of course, carbohydrates that cannot be metabolized by your yeast. They contribute greatly to the mouthfeel of beer, making it "feel" light or heavy, or even "chewy". There are some tricks to lighten up any recipe, if you don't feel like going to a whole no selection. If your doing all grain, try a lower mash temp (like 148-152). This produces a more fermentable wort. Likewise, you could replace some of your base malt (or extract) with a more fermentable substitute such as corn (flaked, starch, or sugar{not recommended}).

Alternatively, tell her how good she looks and ask her if she's lost weight.

Don't forget the effect of carbonation. Even though a Guinness has plenty of mouthfeel, it's not nearly as filling as you'd expect, since it's low in gravity and carbonation. I suggest either that or a well attenuated Ordinary Bitter, carbonated to 1.5 volumes at most.

I say make a well-attenuated APA or blonde. Challenge yourself to hit a nice low gravity - mash at a lower temperature or consider (gasp) using a portion of adjuncts if you're doing extract. Aerate really well, ensure you pitch a lot of yeast, and don't let the fermentation temperature drop below the bottom range. It'll be lighter and dryer, generally more refreshing, without necessarily being flavourless like Corona. (If you want it to be like Heineken, you can either leave the carboy in the sunlight or dry-hop with a roadkilled skunk).

Yep, you need something with a low FG. Yooper and TheCrane nailed the cause of that "full" sensation. Try a low OG, well attenuated cream ale, blond ale, Kölsch, or American Wheat. She might like any of those, with the tastes you described.

TL

Back