Beer styles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rayi

Reaction score
Not new to brewing but I would like to try different beer styles without making 1-5 gallons. I have been into many beer stores but most commercial beers don't have the style of beer on them. I know the taste Hefs porters Dopplebock and stouts from visiting Bell and Founders. Any suggestions on how I can try before I buy

In many beer stores you can buy a mixed 6 pack that you can build. 6 different flavors, 1 6 pack. Most cans/bottles do have the style on them (Pale Ale, IPA, Blonde, Hefeweizen, Stout, etc)

heffs porter dopplebock stuff I make. I want to branch out

I think what m00ps is saying is that most, if not all, commercial beers will say on the label what style of beer it is. IME, that is true about 99% of the time. I have come across a handful of commercial beers that don't say what, exactly, they are. A quick google search should tell you, though.

Good info. I live in Michigan so there is a small brewery on every corner. Bells and Arcadia are 45 minutes away Founders is 1.5 hours away Dark Horse is 45 minutes away. Seems like every place is increasing the hops beyond the style or adding something so you never get the base style taste. So now you know what I've been drinking beside my own which I like more than most brewries

I always ask for a taster of any beer I've not previously seen on tap before buying one. Sometimes it's a bit overkill when the bar lines five or six tasters in front of you, but usually well worth it.

Check out Brewing Classic Styles by Jamil Zainacheff, and start out making 1 or 2 gallon batches while you are still experimenting.

Went to Founders with a friend and ordered a round the world IT is 4 oz of every beer they have on tap. Some were in the 4% range but the last one was 16%. Problem with that was every thing kind of blended togeather. The drive home was a little scary

If the drive home is not scary then you either got responsible and went uber, or you are doing it wrong ;0

I would also see if you have a few craft beer/restaurants in the area (craft on tap) as a *LOT* of those have sampler kits too, one of each major style, or a pick and chose type of deal. The better ones have beer menus with styles and abv% listed and you can just go off that and record in Untappd or other program to record what you actually like.

Last edited:
Gosh, I'd never go anywhere with beer by car! It's either bus, train, tube or taxi over here. Pub-going is what public transport is for!

Back