Beer Styles\Fementation Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

pumphouse

Reaction score
Sorry to be such an uneducated brewer, but I have a question about the varying fermentation temperatures for the different "styles" of beer. I currently do not have the ability to do cooler type fermentations, but I have done an American Brown Ale and currently have a Saison going, which needs the higher temps anyway. For the upcoming third batch, I wanted to do something different than the first two, but don't want to pick something that I can't do properly. Is there any info handy on what the optimum fermentation temps are for different brews ? (i.e. porters, stouts, ales, lagers, etc.) Thanks for any input, and I really appreciate the experts on this forum.

pericles

Reaction score
Sorry to be such an uneducated brewer
That's how everybody starts - no need to apologize!

Many styles are ASSOCIATED with particular fermentation temperatures. Assuming you're making an ale though, (lagers and some hybrids require much lower temperatures for both fermentation AND conditioning) the real determinant of fermentation temperature is not the style, but the yeast.

Why don't you pick what kind of beer you want to brew, and then check to see the recommended yeast. You can find out the temperature range for your yeast on the manufacturer's website. Here's the address for White Labs: http://whitelabs.com/beer/homebrew_strains.html#ALE_YEAST

lilwiggum

Reaction score
That's how everybody starts - no need to apologize!

Many styles are ASSOCIATED with particular fermentation temperatures. Assuming you're making an ale though, (lagers and some hybrids require much lower temperatures for both fermentation AND conditioning) the real determinant of fermentation temperature is not the style, but the yeast.

Why don't you pick what kind of beer you want to brew, and then check to see the recommended yeast. You can find out the temperature range for your yeast on the manufacturer's website. Here's the address for White Labs: http://whitelabs.com/beer/homebrew_strains.html#ALE_YEAST

I think we are on the same page, you just are 3 minutes faster. :mug: