Beer Storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett3rThanU

Reaction score
After the beer has been bottled and has spent a few weeks at room temperature carbonating, how do you store your beer? I don't have room in my fridge for 54 bottles, so is it okay for me to store the beer in my chest freezer at ~66F and move the the fridge as I want to drink it? How long will it stay good?

I just keep the beer at room temperature until I'm ready to cool it.
Most* beer will stay good for a year or so.

*Hefe's tend to have a shorter shelf life. Big beers and barley wines wil be good for a couple years.

I usually leave them in the basement ~60 degrees F...unless it calls for cold conditioning, then it's in the fridge. My understanding is that any place 50-70 degrees and relatively dark will work.

66 degrees is fine.

To maximize the flavor though, make sure they get a good chill for at least 3-4 days...not just a 1-hour blast in the freezer.

...unless of course it's a beer drinking emergency... ;)

BierMuncher said:
66 degrees is fine.

To maximize the flavor though, make sure they get a good chill for at least 3-4 days...not just a 1-hour blast in the freezer.

...unless of course it's a beer drinking emergency... ;)

However, can someone explain to me why this is the case? I certainly don't doubt you I'm a total noob. Thanks.

The beers flavor, or at least the perception of the flavor, changes with temperature.

I, too, like to keep my bottled brews in the fridge for a day or two to a week before drinking because it changes the brews flavor for the better. Of course, there's nothing stopping you from drinking sooner...and we all do. ;)

homebrewer_99 said:
The beers flavor, or at least the perception of the flavor, changes with temperature.

Also remember, this beer is chalk full of live yeast. At room temp, that yeast is viable and somewhat suspended in the beer.

CHilled for several days, and there will definitely be some settling of the yeast. I've kegged and force carb'd my beers for a long time now, and still I'll find that my beers I bottled from kegs a long time ago contain sediment.

I noticed 1 day vs 1 week or so in the fridge makes a difference in both the clarity and the flavor of my beer. I guess the duration in the cold drops the yeast out of suspension.

Back