Beer Storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onetime

Reaction score
I have about 16 bottles of Irish Red Ale left. They were bottled about 2 months ago ( turned out good).
Question: should i store them in my closet or should they be stored in the Frig?

2nd: How long will they last?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I would store them someplace cool like in the 70's and I've got beer in my basement I made 2 years ago.

Does storing home brew in the frig prolong the life of the beer or does it diminish it?

Does storing home brew in the frig prolong the life of the beer or does it diminish it?

Cool/cold storage helps really prolong the life of a beer. Beer ages fast at room temperature, so if you're hoping to store it for a while, cellar or colder temperatures would help slow down the aging.

All chemical reactions occur faster at higher temperatures. A general rule of thumb is 2x the reaction speed for each 10C increase in temp. This means that aging occurs much, much faster at room temp then it does in the refrigerator.

Cheers!

Thanks for the responses. My Beer has found its way into the frig.

Good Times

I keep my beer in my basement which stays around 60-65F. I had a beer that made it 6 months in the bottle and was still great.

2nd: How long will they last?

Answer: not as long as you wish- because they'll be all gone! ;)
Seriously, I have bottles from 2 years ago that are still fine and tasty. In fact a Winter Spice from Jan. 2012 is much better now than it was back then.
I keep them all in Styrofoam insulated boxes(I get all I need from drug shipments) in my cold garage. In July and August I do have to refrigerate what I want to drink, but otherwise Nature's fridge is OK. :mug:

I keep my beer in the basement. In the winter, temperatures are low 50's, even colder this winter (high 40'a) as I mostly used my wood stove (less boiler = less heat to basement). Even in the summer, it stays in the low 60'a. I have beer I made over two years ago (kept a couple bottles of each batch), and things I've tried still taste good. [I just checked the temperature, 50.5 degrees on my basement floor....hey, I don't even need to use the fridge for those English ale's! :) ]

Question is why do you all have beer from 2 years ago

:D. Every batch, I bottle 3, 22ozers. I use the O2 scavenging caps and wax the tops. These go into longterm storage, just to see how they'll age.
Plus when you're bottling 2-3, 5G batches each month, they do tend to accumulate, even if you give alot away. Whatever mood I'm in, I can find a brew to match.:mug:

:D. Every batch, I bottle 3, 22ozers. I use the O2 scavenging caps and wax the tops. These go into longterm storage, just to see how they'll age.
Plus when you're bottling 2-3, 5G batches each month, they do tend to accumulate, even if you give alot away. Whatever mood I'm in, I can find a brew to match.:mug:

Ok that makes sense ha ha, I have noticed that after my first batch I have started making more batches quicker.

If you bottle from the keg, then you also don't have to spend as much time bottling, like you would with a finished 5 gallon batch. I had a few batches in primary that were going to be ready to keg. Two of my kegged beers were about half way gone. I just bottles the rest of those beers to make room for the new batches. This lets me move the pipeline a little faster with about half of the bottles I needed, not to mention having to spend the time to boil the water for the priming sugar, transferring from carboy to bottling bucket, etc., etc.

EDIT: The above was more in relation to how some of us have an "excess" of beers in our storage. Mine is just one way. One can get more than they realize when brewing a lot. Sorry if it's off topic.

Question is why do you all have beer from 2 years ago

Already answered by others. :)
1. Because I want to try them to see how they hold up over time.
2. I bottle from keg and that sometimes is because I want to use the space for another keg.
3. I brew a lot. In fact, I stopped brewing for 4-5 months late last year/early this year as I had so much stuff stocked up. Then in March I brewed six batches in under three weeks, and will be brewing this coming weekend.

Back