Beer Storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fireman-Mike

Reaction score
I read somewhere the home brewed beer that has been bottled should not be stored laying down due to a risk of infection. Is this true? Doesn't really make sense to me.

Fireman-Mike said:
I read somewhere the home brewed beer that has been bottled should not be stored laying down due to a risk of infection. Is this true? Doesn't really make sense to me.
Not infection but the sediment will settle along the side of the bottle and make it difficult if not impossible to make a proper pour

+1 laying your bottles down has nothing to due with infection. Most common infections are due from a lack of proper sanitation. Keep them up right so settlement rests on the bottom of your bottles and not along the side.

RandomBeerGuy said:
+1 laying your bottles down has nothing to due with infection. Most common infections are due from a lack of proper sanitation. Keep them up right so settlement rests on the bottom of your bottles and not along the side.

Is it possible that this misunderstanding is a leftover from corking rather than capping?

When I was making wine,it was proper to lay the bottles at an angle in those bottle racks so that the wine was lapping at the cork to keep it from drying out. Helps maintain the seal. But bottled (read capped) beers should be standing up to get the sediment compacted on the bottom. Makes it easier to pour a clear beer.

Is it possible that this misunderstanding is a leftover from corking rather than capping?

Not sure but every corked bottle of beer I've seen at the store is vertical, not horizontal. Also, not for every case but a lot of corked bottles are in fact bottle conditioned as well meaning the sediment layer still poses an issue if laid down for a period of time.

I know many people who buy commercial beer that is corked to age and they store them upright as well, some for many years and I'e never heard them speak of any cork issues.

Back