Beer stone ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

MHBT

Reaction score
Cleaning some bottles today and put them on the fast rack to dry and i noticed some scum in the bottles, im thinking its beer stone, tried to get a picture but wont show, its like water stain with bristle marks, any household items i can use? Vinegar maybe?

MaxStout

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Are these bottles you've been using, or did they come from somewhere else (i.e., recycled)? If the latter, maybe dried beer/mold in the bottoms.

If it's dried beer or mold, I've had good luck mixing up some dilute Clorox solution (1 cup to a gallon), then pouring a few ounces into each bottle. Let it soak in overnight, rinse well, inspect.

One of these is helpful.
61ZrBR5CSYL._SL1500_.jpg

OP
OP
M

MHBT

Reaction score
I had that jet thing too lost it moving, no these are bottles I purchased doubt its mold or anything i always rinse immediately after using it definitely looks almost bonded to the glass like soap scum or something, im gonna try some vinegar maybe dissolve it, thanks bud

OP
OP
M

MHBT

Reaction score
I used high strength star san solution seemed to help, i had one stubborn bottle i pulled

Wolfbayte

Third Most Interesting Man in his Cul-de-Sac
Reaction score
I let stubborn ones sit overnight full of water with a pinch of Oxyclean free. If it's still there in the morning, I just recycle it.

Broken Crow

Ale's what cures 'ya
Reaction score
I've used vinegar for it with no luck, but for some reason the cheap lemon-juice I keep for cleaning my coffee pot/machine/mugs, (or to squirt in tea when I'm too lazy to cut a lemon), works great with just a squirt swished around, left to sit a while and then blasted with hot water.

Homebrew Harry

Reaction score
I've used vinegar for it with no luck, but for some reason the cheap lemon-juice I keep for cleaning my coffee pot/machine/mugs, (or to squirt in tea when I'm too lazy to cut a lemon), works great with just a squirt swished around, left to sit a while and then blasted with hot water.
I picked up an old whiskey bottle that has some kind of scale that resists almost everything. I'll try the juice next. I hate to use CLR on brewing equipment.

Broken Crow

Ale's what cures 'ya
Reaction score
Let me know how it works. (I don't wanna being giving faulty advice!) ;)

Latest posts