Beer/ soda carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jjmwandell

Reaction score
Hello,
So i made my first batch of beer and my wife has asked me to make soda for her. I am bottle conditioning my beer, however she wants the soda to be 100% non alcoholic. Is there a way to carbonate soda THEN bottle it? If so what would i need?

You would need kegs, C02 (with regulator) and a bottle filler, preferably a counter-pressure bottle filler, And all the hoses and other goodies.

The cheaper way would be a cap that screws onto a 2l soda bottle that has a gas connector on it, you would still need C02 with a regulator though.

You would need kegs, C02 (with regulator) and a bottle filler, preferably a counter-pressure bottle filler, And all the hoses and other goodies.

The cheaper way would be a cap that screws onto a 2l soda bottle that has a gas connector on it, you would still need C02 with a regulator though.
So i would make the syrup, mix it with water and use a co2 tank? Would there be a way to store it long term?

Yes, you would mix your ingredients and put the flat soda in a keg. You would then either set the regulator to the pressure that would give you the intended volumes of C02 (this pressure is dependent on temperature) and let it sit for a couple weeks to carb... or crank the pressure to 40psi and rock the keg for 10-15 minutes before checking the carb level, and repeating until you reach your desired level.

As far as storage, it could be stored in the keg, or bottled from the keg.

I've also been curious about this, but served from a keg rather than bottles. I want to make soda-water and have it on tap alongside my beer. Has anyone tried this?

Would there be any issue in filling a keg with straight tap water and just force carbonating it? Should I boil the water first?

Would there be any issue in filling a keg with straight tap water and just force carbonating it?

You could do that.

Should I boil the water first?

If your equipment is both clean and sanitary, there would be nothing to eat and nothing to eat it. But if you have reason to believe your water is contaminated, boiling would take care of it, as well as driving off chlorine, which might be noticeable depending on the level.

Back