Beer snob ignorance > BMC Drinker Ignorance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMama

Reaction score
I was posting in a thread on another forum regarding craft brews. Of course all of the beer snobs came out of the woodwork and start listing (and bashing) their favorite micro/craft brews. So, me being the ******* that I am decide to make mention to brewing your own beer (and having the ability to clone just about any one of their craft brews).

This is the response that I got from one of their more outspoken 'regulars'

"I simply do not believe some amateur with $100 in equipment can surpass, let alone adequately reproduce, an award winning professional brewery.

Every home brewer in the world thinks this, and every mother thinks their child is smart and cute."

I think that ignorant beer snobs just surpassed the idiot BMC drinkers...
-Me

Wow...just...wow. That's like saying your mom can't make as good of cookies from scratch as they make in the factories. And that's what you should tell him.

That poor guy doesn't know what he's missing. Some of my beers have far surpassed 99% of the commercial beers and I have hundred of people to vouch for that.

Wow...just...wow. That's like saying your mom can't make as good of cookies from scratch as they make in the factories. And that's what you should tell him.

That poor guy doesn't know what he's missing. Some of my beers have far surpassed 99% of the commercial beers and I have hundred of people to vouch for that.

I'll vouch for that. If I had to choose between Bud Light Chelada and DB's brew, I'd probably choose the latter. :ban:

So what is this other forum. I think we should all sign up and let him know that either we have a lot more than $100 in equipment or that you can make better quality or on par beer than a lot of craft brewers with a $100 in equipment.

Two big questions for this guy:

1. Have you ever brewed your own beer?
2. Have you ever tasted a homebrewed beer from an experienced homebrewer?

The first one is the biggie. I have just under one year of brewing experience and I've made beers on cheap equipment that rival that of many professional microbreweries, not to mention BMC offerings. The only way he is right is when you talk about repeatability and production levels. Obviously you can't have the sort of consistency that a large brewery has. But as far as taste goes, even the noob homebrewer cranks out a fantastic beer once in a while!

You might also explain to him homebrewers aren't subject to time limits like commercial brewers are. We don't have to worry about the price of the batch. We don't pastuerize or filter our beer. In other words, commercial breweries are constrained by a number of factors that homebrewers aren't, which attributes to why we, as homebrewers, can make better beer than many of the breweries with their expensive equipment.

I'm not saying that some homebrewers don't have slightly inflated opinions of their own beer though!:mug:

I was posting in a thread on another forum regarding craft brews. Of course all of the beer snobs came out of the woodwork and start listing (and bashing) their favorite micro/craft brews.

Fark?

"I simply do not believe some amateur with $100 in equipment can surpass, let alone adequately reproduce, an award winning professional brewery.
*ahem* Jamil Zainasheff? Mike McDole? Let alone the countless homebrewer-turned-pros that continue to push craft beer up and beyond? Most craft brewers with even a shred of humility will tell you homebrewers are largely responsible for growth and success in the craft beer market.

Everyone's made a bad batch and everyone starts somewhere. We don't make award-winning beer right out of the gate. But homebrewers get 40+ on sheets time and time again. :mug:

F--- that guy. In the immortal words of Goat (Adam Sandler), "his life's a blurr, f@#k 'im."

The website is Sherdog.net - Sherdog is an MMA site and this discussion (was appropriately) in the OT - Which requires a post count of 500 or more.

You also have to figure that the interwebz trolls that we all hear horror stories about reside there. There are SOME intelligent posters there, but the lot of them are *****ebags who have been banned more than once due to their *****ebaggery. (Hence the comment that I originated this with) :)
-Me

Besides, I come here for INTELLIGENT discussion. I know where the smarter folk are! :)

I mean, what is the purpose of this site?
To help people and discuss the joys and techniques of homebrewing. The minimum age here (should be) 21 years old. There is a purpose and a goal here - to make beer. To make better beer.

Sherdog - A fun site to discuss fantasy MMA matchups, speculative fighter rankings, whos the fav etc... (No offense) but alot of the fanbase of MMA are WWE transplants. And alot of that are teenagers and keyboard warriors. So in a sense, Im not 'surprised' at the level of ignorance - but I thought I saw a glimmer of hope when they were intelligently discussing craft/micros.

Guess I was wrong... :(
-Me

¤ the ultimate BEER recommendation thread ¤ - Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

This is the exact thread I was speaking of - Page 138 is the comment by Art Vanderlei. He is notorious for being a real winner in there. Its one of the reasons I have steered clear of the OT there. It was fun once upon a time to get all goofy and read and start utterly ridiculous threads, but it got to a point where its a huge flamefest and not really entertaining anymore.
-Me

Ya, I doubt he knows there are people that go beyond the Mr. Beer kits (no offense to Mr. Beer brewers). But what can you expect from a bunch of roided up *****enozzles who watch UFC? (no offense to non-roided up *****enozzles who watch UFC)

I would agree. Think he'll take you up on your dare, Joe? I doubt it.

Oh, and FWIW, I have a bit more invested in equipment then a hundred bones. More like a couple grand.:mug:

I have spent well over $5000.00 in the last year, just one equipment and I can officially say that you need only the following equipment to make some of the best beer on the planet, all-grain:

2 - pots, 5 and 7 gallon
1 - Big bag for your mash
1 - Thermometer
1 - Carboy (or fermentation bucket)
1 - Funnel (if you have carboy)
1 - Airlock and stopper
1 - Bag of sanitation/cleaning chemicals
1 - Bag of well-thought ingredients

Definitely under $200.00 and under $100.00 if you already have the pots.

That and somewhere to ferment that is 65°F or less.

Anyone can brew bad-ass beer.
:mug:

I would agree. Think he'll take you up on your dare, Joe? I doubt it.

Oh, and FWIW, I have a bit more invested in equipment then a hundred bones. More like a couple grand.:mug:

seriously. I just do extract and steeping grains and I have well over 100 dollars of equipment.

some peoples children. . .:confused:

Back