Beer Smith VS Pro Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very subjective question. I like beersmith because that's what I started brewing with. Plus there's a new version being released this month.

_

Very subjective question. I like beersmith because that's what I started brewing with. Plus there's a new version being released this month.

_

+1

That's exactly what I came in here to say. Personally, I tried both and thought BeerSmith was easier to use, but thats just me.

ProMash hasn't been updated in many years... I believe that it has died (or at least is slowly dying). At some point it won't even run on most OS's...

I switched to BeerSmith a couple years ago - it wasn't easy but I like how vibrant the development and community has been (new grain definitions, recipes, etc...). I've already pre-ordered the 2.0 coming out on Friday and can't wait to get the improvements.

I prefer Promash
It might be old but it still has everything ill ever need

Im using the free version so i guess that might influence my decition

I want to see how this discussion plays out. I am a current promash user but am considering switching to beersmith since it is being updated and maintained.

ProMash gives more options/is better at a few things, while BeerSmith is more user-friendly. Some of it comes down to how you use it. ProMash certainly has an appeal for those who mainly want a brewing-specific calculator....BeerSmith is more a "track the entire process" application.

I use ProMash for carbonation calculations. I prefer it to BeerSmith for water adjustments (but have since gotten an Excel spreadsheet that is more accurate). I use BeerSmith for planning.

Back