Beer Smith - Mash Tun Dead Space

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpsurfer

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to figure out the dead space in my mash tun but not sure how to calculate it. I have a converted 15 gallon igloo cooler with a stainless braid in the bottom.

I figured the easiest way to find this would be to add water to the empty cooler in 1 quart increments until fluid started to run out but after about 2 gallons there was no flow. I have all my hoses connected as if I were mashing and the valves are open...I'm using cold water though.

The braid is connected to a T coming off the valve, and that the valve actually sits higher than where the braid rests in the base of the cooler. Not sure if this matters or not but figured I'd mention it. When I empty out my spent grains after a mash there is usually very little fluid left in the base even though it sits lower than the valve, I don't know if it's because the weight of the grain is squishing it through and out or if it's absorbed or both.

Any recommendations as to how I can calculate this? Thanks!

Are you setting up the cooler the same as you do when mashing? Meaning adding a hose to the outlet or whatever you have.

Maybe it's the difference between hot water and cold (grasping here) and the heat is opening teh braid.

Deadspace is the liquid left behind when the tun is drained. So, you are approaching it right. You just have a phenomenon at play.

You did open the valve, right? :p

Remove the braid, fill to above the valve and let it drain. then measure whats left in the cooler. Or don't remove the braid and fill it fuller, let the water weight start the flow. When the flow stops measure whats left in the cooler. (double check your braid and diptube for any possible restrictions)

Thanks for the responses!

Are you setting up the cooler the same as you do when mashing? Meaning adding a hose to the outlet or whatever you have.

Maybe it's the difference between hot water and cold (grasping here) and the heat is opening teh braid.

Deadspace is the liquid left behind when the tun is drained. So, you are approaching it right. You just have a phenomenon at play.

You did open the valve, right? :p

I edited my OP to reflect this, thanks!

Remove the braid, fill to above the valve and let it drain. then measure whats left in the cooler. Or don't remove the braid and fill it fuller, let the water weight start the flow. When the flow stops measure whats left in the cooler. (double check your braid and diptube for any possible restrictions)

I'll try filling it fuller to see if the water weight forces the flow, that'd clear up my curiosity about whether or not weight forces the fluid through the braid and uphill to the valve. I'm not sure if this will give me an accurate number though as with the grains in there there'd be considerably more weight pushing down than with water alone. I like the removing the braid, filling above the outlet and letting it drain idea, I'll give that a shot.

Thanks again!

Well i try with my coleman xtreme cooler and got 1/4 cup of water left. Is that whats called deadspace. I'm seeing people go up to about a gallon.

Back