Beer Smith help need to verify please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grassfeeder

Reaction score
If someone with Beer Smith could input the following and let me know what it lists as the FG I would greatly appreciate it. I use BrewersFriend but I believe it's calculating wrong.

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Imperial IPA
Boil Time: 90 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.25 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.073
Efficiency: 60% (brew house)

Yeast: SD Super

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.106
Final Gravity: 1.021
ABV (standard): 11.21%
IBU (tinseth): 83.7
SRM (morey): 5.71

FERMENTABLES:
15 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (72.3%)
3 lb - Corn Sugar - Dextrose (14.5%)
1.38 lb - American - White Wheat (6.6%)
1.38 lb - Flaked Oats (6.6%)

I just assumed that you're using a yeast that has roughly 75% attenuation and got 1.026 as a F.G. so it seems like BrewersFriend is pretty close. What number were you expecting? Just based on experience alone, that estimated FG seems about right for a DIPA

I have never used the SD Super Yeast but for any other, I would not expect any better than 1.106 to 1.021. That is 80% attenuation.... and 11.16 ABV!!!

If someone with Beer Smith could input the following and let me know what it lists as the FG I would greatly appreciate it. I use BrewersFriend but I believe it's calculating wrong.

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Imperial IPA
Boil Time: 90 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.25 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.073
Efficiency: 60% (brew house)

Yeast: SD Super

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.106
Final Gravity: 1.021
ABV (standard): 11.21%
IBU (tinseth): 83.7
SRM (morey): 5.71

FERMENTABLES:
15 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (72.3%)
3 lb - Corn Sugar - Dextrose (14.5%)
1.38 lb - American - White Wheat (6.6%)
1.38 lb - Flaked Oats (6.6%)

1. FG is a very rough estimate in any software. It depends on many parameters, like mash temperature for example.
2. With 3lb of sugar and mostly 2-row, and SuperYeast, if you mash low, you should finish below 1.010, I would predict.
3. BeerSmith has a free software trial (just FYI).

1. FG is a very rough estimate in any software. It depends on many parameters, like mash temperature for example.
2. With 3lb of sugar and mostly 2-row, and SuperYeast, if you mash low, you should finish below 1.010, I would predict.
3. BeerSmith has a free software trial (just FYI).

I sadly blew through the trial before I had any clue what I was doing. I liked the brewers friend interface so I went that route. It's been spot on till this recipe.

Does anyone else think that 3lbs of corn sugar in a 5 gal batch is way too much? Even for my double and triple ipas I try to keep corn sugar closer to 5% of the grist.

Oh and SD super yeast will crush that fermentation. Just make sure to make a nice healthy starter and keep ferm temps lower

Back